best all-purpose fert and substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

themox

Aquarium Advice Activist
hey guys

i'm in australia and i'm looking for an all purpose fertilizer and substrate if possible. setting up a newly planted tank next week that has:

hemianthus micranthemoides
amazon frogbit
java fern
java moss
hornwort

basically beginner plants.

setting up 2.5-3watts per gallon of light in a 30 litre or 8 gallon tank. have a DIY c02 set up also and basically i needed to know:

what substrate would i need for these plants? from my understanding, only the hemianthus really requires a decent substrate (and i'd like this as a carpeting plant) and what fert would work best for all of these plants? moss will be on rocks and a moss wall, ferns on my driftwood, hornwort in the back and frogbit free-floating in a corner.

Cheap sand for substrate, PFS is just about the best and is very inexpensive.
Flourish Comprehensive is a good all around fertilizer. There doesn't look to be anything on your list that will benefit from root tabs but if you get any root feeders you will need them.

blert said:
Cheap sand for substrate, PFS is just about the best and is very inexpensive.
Flourish Comprehensive is a good all around fertilizer. There doesn't look to be anything on your list that will benefit from root tabs but if you get any root feeders you will need them.

thanks mate. I'll check those out. is PFS a brand of substrate?

PFS = Pool Filter Sand. Can usually be had for about nine bucks for a fifty pound bag.

blert said:
PFS = Pool Filter Sand. Can usually be had for about nine bucks for a fifty pound bag.

ah thank you. do you use the sand all by itself or use a layer of gravel over it? or is that preference?

+1 to bert. Pool Filter Sand is saving my 10g planted tank right now from the awful oil-dri I tried first. Pool filter sand is cheap, appealing and easy to use! It comes in think granules and won't be easily disturbed like other sands! Good luck!

themox said:
ah thank you. do you use the sand all by itself or use a layer of gravel over it? or is that preference?

You can use it by itself. Rinse it well before putting it in the tank (pillow case method works very well). It is heavy enough that it wont kick up and get in your filter and it even falls right back out of my gravel vac when I accidentally dip too deep with it.

You can use it by itself. Rinse it well before putting it in the tank (pillow case method works very well). It is heavy enough that it wont kick up and get in your filter and it even falls right back out of my gravel vac when I accidentally dip too deep with it.

thank you so much blert. really appreciate the help.

i'm looking for a black or dark grey or perhaps brown colour for the substrate so hoping they have that available.

Unfortunately, PFS is a very light color. There is a pic of my 40g with PFS and red Eco Complete mix in this thread...
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/finally-cleaned-up-my-grow-out-tank-196652.html

And there are there pics in this thread (last post) of my 75g with Black Diamond blasting sand and black Eco Complete mix...
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f12/new-75-gallon-193910-2.html

Blasting sand is also very cheap at about ten bucks for a 50 pound bag. You really need to rinse the heck out of it though as it can be a bit oily and very dirty. I used the pillow case and neglected pool method. ;)

I would have to agree with blert. If you are just starting, PFS is an easy place to start.

I have used many different and expensive substrates, but I am currently going back to PFS. My tanks grow better with just plain old PFS.

it does sound good i'll admit.

i really kinda wanted a darker bottom though. is it possible to add a thin layer of gravel above it?

themox said:

i really kinda wanted a darker bottom though. is it possible to add a thin layer of gravel above it?

Of course, it will mix and the lighter sand will show through in places but the sand will settle over time and leave the gravel on top. Since your are only dealing with an eight gallon tank you would only need about 16 pounds of sand, you can get enough in just about any color from a Petco like place for about 20 bucks. Or you could do PFS and mix it with a five pound bag of regular black sand, which is about six bucks. Not sure what this stuff costs Down Under though. You might contact MummaOfTwo, I believe she lives in Australia.

blert said:
Of course, it will mix and the lighter sand will show through in places but the sand will settle over time and leave the gravel on top. Since your are only dealing with an eight gallon tank you would only need about 16 pounds of sand, you can get enough in just about any color from a Petco like place for about 20 bucks. Or you could do PFS and mix it with a five pound bag of regular black sand, which is about six bucks. Not sure what this stuff costs Down Under though. You might contact MummaOfTwo, I believe she lives in Australia.

yeah mumma has helped me thus far with every question I've asked, she's the best :)

thanks for your help though mate. I'm gonna look at bunnings (our version of home depot) and my local lfs (decent genuine guys) and check out what they have as well as prices too!

planted tank setting up next week during semester break... can't wait!

themox said:

do black blasting sand... rinse small potions over and over.. I love it ( in 2 of my 4 tanks

If there is a place near you that rents sand blasting machines they will have sand also.

Back
Top Bottom