Best conditions for good color in sunset hygro

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Peyton

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What conditions (lighting, nitrate level, etc) is needed for good color in sunset hygro? I have mine planted in a 29gal with 2x55w CF bulbs and pressurized CO2. I dose per EI with the exception of nitrate which currently is at 10ppm. It is turning slightly pink but nothing like it should. Any advice?

How heavily is your tank planted? and what kit are you using to determine your NO3 is at 10? You don't dose nitrate at all?

Tank is heavily planted. I'm using aquarium pharm nitrate test. I was dosing per EI but stopped kno3 dosing within the past week or so. They are starting to turn more pink now. Latest test shows less than 10ppm nitrate.

One cool thing I've been learning out of watching the nitrates closely was how much is being consumed by the plants daily. Seems to be about 2ppm. If you know the amount of nitrate uptake can you also calculate K and P uptake as well? Maybe that question needs it's own post :).

THe lower NO3 readings will cause many plants to really get their color. You should dose based on what you believe your consumption to be. EI is a good basis, but as you feel out your aquarium you'll find that many of the more advanced guys like to run their tanks a little lean, meaning really figuring out what your tank needs and only providing that. It's a different strategy than EI is, and really takes time and effort to tweak out.

With sunset hygro, I get the best colors when it's under medium to low light setups. When I have it in high light, it just grows and grows and never really gets the nice red colors to it.

In 1.5 WPG, it's very easy to maintain and looks great.

Back
Top Bottom