Best filter for 3 gallon planted?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zephyr

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was wondering what the best filter would be for a 3 gallon planted tank. By one of my LFS's I was told that plants didn't grow so well with oxygen in the water, so I should avoid a filter that is driven by an airpump. She suggested an undergravel filter with a small powerhead on top, but I'm not a believer in undergravel filtration. I suggested a small 'hang on the back' filter, but she said they were expensive, and not really worth it for a small tank. I'm quite confused with my options. Could i just go with a sponge filter driven by an air pump? Do i even need a filter at all?, because the plants would purify the water, and i would do weekly water changes?
I would greatly appreciate any help that cold be given.
Justin
P.S. Do I need to purchase a CO injector?
thanx

3 gallon. That's a small planted tank...I'd love to see some pics of it. I'm not sure you'd need a filter as long as you don't have fish in there. Even one or two small fish might do OK without a filter. Might make a great Betta tank. I think the weekly water changes will do the job fine. If you decide to add a filter, I'd go with the smallest HOB I could find and choke it down to minimum flow.
Although I'd have to defer to those who have more experience with planted tanks, I really doubt you'll need a C02 system on that tank. I guess in the end, it depends on what kind of plants and lighting you have. I think it would be hard to regulate it though. I think the small tanks are way cool...I have a 10g reef...well...it'll be a reef when it grows up I guess.
Logan J

Thanx for the advice. I rekon it'll be an interesting thing to do with this tank, I cant find anything else to do with it.
Do you rekon I could keep 3 neons in there, or one female betta? (without filtration)
Yeh I'm heps excited, and my mum rekons she wants to buy some of the stuff, but i managed to get her to want to only purchase the plants. Shes trying to go halves in the lights.
Yeh I'm rapped with my 10gallon amazon tank. I'm gonna try to shun the kuhlis off to my bro and get some lemon tetras.
Justin :yum:

I think the neons would be really neat and not overload the tank. You'll really need something in there I guess to feed the plants.
Logan J

I wouldn't personally worry too much about a filter for it, as Logan said, the normal water changing pattern should suit it fine. If you do get a filter, get a very small one that attaches to the back via suckers. They are inexpensive, I don't know why you were told they weren't ?

Good luck, let us know if you go for the neons or a betta.

I bet your Betta would love it Thats what I would do, I would probley use an aqua clear Mini filter they cost 20- 30 Canadian dollars. pretty cheap and they hold well and you can adjust the current and change the Medium. I would use two sponges it holds the bacteria and avoid carbon,
C02 hmm I don't think i would bother in a 3 gallon.
Too much Carbon dioxide will kill your fish so C02 would be tricky, but would benifit most plants you can find good C02 kits that are pretty low in cost. Check this link out its a good set up.

http://www.hagen.com/canada/english/aquatic/addinfo/co2system.html

PS, One female betta would do alright, but you can group them in 4 s
they will bicker, but they don't kill each other very often, You could look at that aswell. One male in a seperate tank larger than where the females are would be good for him to raise babies.
one thing you may see often is plants floating the male will make a nice nest for the females. there is so much you can do to a tank its always good to think about the set up Good luck Z.
Chris

Back
Top Bottom