Best fish to eat up my duckweed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GlitcH

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Yep.......haven't been paying as much attention to my tank lately.
Been getting my sun and fun in before the summers over.
Anyway, I've got a butt load of duckweed that I just can't seem to get rid of. :roll:

I was wondering if there is a fish that loves it?
It would have to be a smaller peaceful fish suited to a community tank.

I can't speak for fish (none of mine eat the duckweed), but my yellow-bellied turtle absolutely loves it. My friend will bring 2 solid cups of it about every other week, and he has it completely gone in a week.

evercl92 said:
I can't speak for fish (none of mine eat the duckweed), but my yellow-bellied turtle absolutely loves it. My friend will bring 2 solid cups of it about every other week, and he has it completely gone in a week.

Do you have the turtle in with fish?

They get pretty big don't they?

Plus I'd imagine they'd eat all kinds of plants.

Yeh, the turtle is in his own tank (not my planted tank, that would be a disaster) with a pair of kribensis. I believe they get fairly big. Once he gets big enough, the plan is that he gets to go to my parents pond.

Zezmo said:
My Checkered Rainbowfish (Melanotaenia splendida inornata) love to gobble down the duckweed. They will clear any tank they are in.

http://members.optushome.com.au/chelmon/Inornata.htm

Hmm Rainbow fish .......never kept them before.
That type seems to get a bit bigger than I would like though.

Anyone have any experience with Melanotaenia Praecox [Dwarf Rainbows]? I think these would be a great size [max 2"]......I hope they eat the duckweed like their larger cousins.

praecox5.25.05%20640.jpg

I've kept the Dwarf Neon Blue Rainbows and love them. Once I have a larger tank I will definately be getting them again. No idea if they will eat duckweed though. They're a great addition to the tank even if they don't IMO.

Florida Flag Fish eat duckweed, as well as hair algae and the bits that fall off of my hornwort. They like well planted tanks. They can be nippers if the tank is too small for them, and if they start to spawn they will need to be moved as they will protect their eggs and fry fiercely. They are dedicated parters and should be kept as pairs.

I have kept several species of the larger rainbows. Only the one I mentioned is a plant eater, duckweed, and any fine leafed plants...like say my $70 Eriocaulon "Mato Grosso". Which was one heck of an expensive salad bar.

well that's good to know zez....figures there are no inornata's on aquabid though.

Hey Zez,
Any experience with Melanotaenia Trifasciata?
I've heard elsewhere that they are duckweed eaters.

Trifasgoyder.jpg

Back
Top Bottom