Best lighing for 20 gal. long planted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's a good light but the quad might be more than you need for a long tank. I'm using a quad on a 25 tall and it's probably way more than I need. Mine is the same light without the built in timer. That one has better mounting brackets than the one without the timer too.

The Ray II will be in the same price range and will probably be a more appropriate level of light for what you're wanting to do. Plus it will looks nicer than that fixture.

The Ray II will be in the same price range and will probably be a more appropriate level of light for what you're wanting to do. Plus it will looks nicer than that fixture.

He should be able to do just about anything with the Odyssea though. The quad would have him around like 140 PAR in a 20L. That's well over the high tech threshold. But aesthetics do matter. If the Finnex costs the same, works as good, and looks better I'd go with it too.

He should be able to do just about anything with the Odyssea though. The quad would have him around like 140 PAR in a 20L. That's well over the high tech threshold. But aesthetics do matter. If the Finnex costs the same, works as good, and looks better I'd go with it too.

Valid points all around! The things I like with the odyssea is the built in timer and the functionality of the light. I have a finnex on my 10 gallon and would definitely recommend that brand for anyone wanting LEDs, but when you have to plug it into a timer, the moonlights are useless.

I suppose if you don't mind annual costs of bulb replacement. As for moonlights, you can easily set up separate ones on a timer.. I have the current truelumen lunars setup in such that way.

I suppose if you don't mind annual costs of bulb replacement. As for moonlights, you can easily set up separate ones on a timer.. I have the current truelumen lunars setup in such that way.

If you're handy with DIY stuff than that sounds great, but I am not...lol.

If you're handy with DIY stuff than that sounds great, but I am not...lol.

I have these as well and love them, there's no DIY about them, they come with double sides tape. Just peel and stick and pug in. They also make a splitter and dimmer if you wanted to add them.

I doubt that. The odyssea fixtures have marginal ballasts, bad bulbs, and bad reflectors. You would have to buy 4 new bulbs (min $40) to even have a shot at that, and I doubt that he would even want that much light, because you're way past the cutoff for CO2 at that point.

I doubt that. The odyssea fixtures have marginal ballasts, bad bulbs, and bad reflectors. You would have to buy 4 new bulbs (min $40) to even have a shot at that, and I doubt that he would even want that much light, because you're way past the cutoff for CO2 at that point.

That fixture with those bulbs has been measured from around 80 - 150 par depending on water depth. I'm on my phone now but I'll post the graph when I get home.

Back
Top Bottom