best light

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPKeenan

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been thinking of replacing my light in one of my hoods. I have seen the 24inch bulbs at hardware stores and big box store.

What should I look for? I know there are grow lights and aquarium lights, day light lights, and a whole ton of choices.

Just want some feed back cause every time I get plants they seem to die on me and I figure the problem is most likely I am sticking to the light bulb/tube that came with the hood.

The real plants make a tank look so much better than the fake plants.

Well what plants are you trying to grow? Certain plants need more light than others. Usually you want to look for a bulb thats color temperature is in the 5500-8000K range. As far as the no. of watts needed, that depends on the plants your growing

Reactions: HN1
Haven't decided on what type of plants to grow yet.

The ones I put in my 20g died, the ones in my 30g are dying (lost 3 fish to ich so far).

I know with a better light I would have better luck.

Do you know what type of bulb you were using before and what plants you had that died? I started with an old 40watt T12 bulb on my 55 and soon moved to running 2 32watt T8 daylight bulbs and the difference is amazing. Im about to build my own hood in the next week or two and will be running approx. 4 bulbs over my tank. General rule of thumb (although this rule doesnt always work with modern day lighting) is to shoot for 2 watts per gallon of light output with the color temperature around what I mentioned before. This will allow you to grow a moderate amount of low to medium light plants. Check out the articles in the planted tank section of the forum. Good info there. If your looking to make one of those high-tech super planted tanks then your going to have to look into some T-5HO lights with pressurized co2 and good fertilizers. Personally I would try to figure out why ur last plants died first and then move on from there instead of assuming its just your light, although underpowered lighting is always a good bet.

That is what I was figuring (poor lighting). I also know that plants tend to get sick before fish. So water chemistry might also be part of the problem.

Hehehe I am not going to go super high tech. For me it is more of an aesthetic thing. Plus the 30g has live barers in it, so if they mate I need a good place for them to hide their fry.

The 30g tank has ich in it now, just lost my 3rd fish to it. (3 in the past 2 days). I am wanting to get home and do the 50% water change. Keep changing the water out and keep the temps in the upper 80's. I might kill off another one or two of the weaker fish but I think that one or two more losses would be better than having teh rest of teh fish in the tank die off. The platies and danio seem to not have picked up the ich, just the newer barbs and tetras.

I have high nitrates coming out of teh tap so I figure the more live plants I have teh better the water chemistry should get.

What is your current light? If you ahve at least 30W, you should be able to grow some low light plants. If you are upgrading the lights, aiming for ~60W will give you more flexibility.

Another factor to consider is your plants. Some of the chain store sells terrestrial or bog plants as aquatics. Those will rot submerged no matter how good your tank is. Also, a lot of lfs plants are sickly (poor conditions in the store, poor stock). Until I got some good specimens from a local aquarium club, I never had much luck with plants.

I will have to pull the hood and look at what the tube says on it. Just curious and also wanting to see what type of connections it has.

I will need to make a whole hood/lid for the extra 29g I have.

florescent t12 t8 which is common in most set up.
s_109631227621409.jpg

you can get a new fixture retro fit it like with ahsupply or putting cfl bulbs in.

wow bulb is only 15w! the hood itself says 19 watts. That was on the 20g tank where the plants always died.

2 foot t8 bulb most likely. you can change it to screw in bulbs and replace them with those.

cfl_light_bulb.jpg

I was trying to stick to the tubes. Now in days not sure which is more bang for the buck (saving electric bill) the cfl or tubes.

the 30g tank is a 17w 30" tube

Both by all glass and came with the lids and both are under a year old but seem a lot under powered for a planted tank.

the tube will save on the electric bill but wont do you much good for plants. really though there wouldnt be much of a bump at all. if you want plants you need to replace the hood with a new fixture or retro fit it.

you might try java moss java fern and anubis under that light.

java moss might be a good idea to try. I have live barers in both tanks and might help them along... or might have me over run with platies.

Back
Top Bottom