Best light bulbs for t5 HO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cgthebeast

Aquarium Advice Addict
That won't break the bank. I need 2-3 bulbs that average around 30dollars. I have a 24in fixture and so 24watts, around 6,500 k. I want my plants to grow like weeds haha

True haha, I just wanna know if there's any suggestions on what to get. Like I found some in amazon for like 6 dollars but no reviews so... There called plustrite I belive

I don't know if one brand name is better than the other as far as the bulbs. far as I know they're all made almost identically. As long as it's 6500 K range you're good.. I have 6700-1800k

Alrighty then, that reassures me. I was worried when everything els switch like 20$ and these were 6

The fixture I bought came with cheap bulbs 324w for 177.00$$

Right, see the fixture I bought, was originally on a SW tank and I moved it to freshwater so new bulbs, Yay!?

Lol mine too half the bulbs were actinic blue the other were 10000k

I will say fluval 18000k has a pink to it... It looks Awesome!!! But 22.00$

ZooMed bulbs are what I use. They're pretty decent bulbs. Plants grow well under them. I buy mine at Kensfish. Very reasonable prices.

Plants use light between 6000 and 10K bulbs. The higher the K rating the higher the blue spectrum of light which can make red/pink plants and fish look washed out. Bulbs around the 6000-6700K are more balanced in the red and blue spectrum.

I've got several T5HO fixtures and have found Geisemann bulbs (using one Midday and one Aquaflora) to grow plants very well along with coloring up non-green plants very well. I've used many brands of bulbs over the years and find these bulbs superior to others I've tried and IMO are worth the money.

On Rivercat's suggestion I went to all Geiseman bulbs on my Quad T5HO Aquaticlife. I really saw better reds and growth over the Zoo Meds I had before. Not a huge difference but quite noticeable. Our local Petco has phased out their Zoo Med bulbs and now stocks Coralife bulbs. I had one of my Geiseman's burn out so until my online order comes in I got one of the Coralife 6700K bulbs as an emergency fill in. I have to say, I'm impressed with its brightness. It costs the same as a Geiseman so no advantage there. Moral= Coralife may have upped their game and has a premium bulb now. Time will tell. OS.

I like the coral life bulbs too, I do only run t5no but they are still pretty darn bright, one 6700k and one colormax..

I bought two geiseman bulbs one a sunlight 6.500k the other a aqua flora. Then I decided to give the plustrite a try and bought two them. So will see how they do

Back
Top Bottom