Best plants for driftwood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ddot82

Aquarium Advice Regular
Im setting up a new tank and want to add some driftwood. I was wondering what some good plants are to attatch to it and how to attatch them? Do i tie them on with string and they'll establish themselves over time? Also what do I do to prep the driftwood to go in the tank. One piece is almost 3 feet long and would be very hard to boil. I got it from a river and don't want them to add contaminates to my tank.

Im setting up a new tank and want to add some driftwood. I was wondering what some good plants are to attatch to it and how to attatch them? Do i tie them on with string and they'll establish themselves over time? Also what do I do to prep the driftwood to go in the tank. One piece is almost 3 feet long and would be very hard to boil. I got it from a river and don't want them to add contaminates to my tank.

Java fern, anubias, bolbitis and mosses will all attach to wood. You can use fishing like or cotton thread to carefully tie them to the wood. They will eventually attach themselves.
If the wood will fit in your dishwasher you can put it through a few cycles (no soap or rise aid!) and it will help kill any nasties. You can also leave it to bake in the sun to do the same thing. A good soak in hot water works also.

Back
Top Bottom