best type of plant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfan12

Aquarium Advice Regular
hello,
i have a goldfish in one tank and 2 mollies, 2 platies, and 2 tetras in another. i am wondering about the best type of plants to put in there. i do not want the plants for decoration, but for purpose. i need them to supply oxygen and lower nitrites, basically.
thanks in advance

What do you have for lighting? I am thinking you should go with hornwort, javamoss, javafern or some anubias nana perhaps.

I assume you mean nitrates are what you want to lower instead of nitrites?

i have a 10 watt hood for my goldie and a 50 watt for my tropicals. i guess i do mean nitrates.

Goldfish usually eat plants. You will have to go with very tough ones maybe you can get buy with mosses, ferns and anubia then they might be on your goldfishes menu. Platies and mollies like the algae but might start picking on the more tender plants.

Hornwart is the easiest and is suppose to help keep algae down as well but it can shed and make a mess. Java moss or fern grows easily as well and will give your baby mollies or platty's a place to hide when they are born. (I say this not knowing the sex of your fish but if you have a male and female of either species you will have babies)

Back
Top Bottom