Best way to clean out an algae outbreak?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Luananeko

Aquarium Advice Addict
Long story short, I had the wrong light fixture on my 40g planted breeder tank when trying to start it up. This combined with some overfeeding from my husband while I was out of town means I had a big outbreak of all sorts of algae... I've added a better light and adjusted feeding back to where it should be, but in the meantime I have a bunch of algae I need to remove as much as possible to give the plants a chance to catch back up and outcompete it properly. I know how to prevent it from coming back, it's just a matter of getting the darn thing back under control.

What's the best way to do this with minimal plant loss? Pull out the plants & decor, give them a H2O2 or bleach bath, rinse, then put back in? Use a syringe to squirt H2O2 directly on the plants with the water lowered? I've never done any of this before just heard people mention it, so a guide with dosage amounts/steps would be appreciated... I'm kinda nervous about hurting my shrimp and cherry barb babies with any sort of mistake :(

I also have a bunch of algae creeping along the top of the sand substrate... Is it best to just scoop out the very top layer to remove it?

Any help is appreciated!

I would start with a 3 day blackout perhaps.

Reduce lighting to 6 hours daily after that, get a timer.

Try direct application as well.

Good luck.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I already have the lights on a timer for 6 hrs, split photo period. Wouldn't a blackout hurt my plants? They're already struggling to recover from the insufficient lighting I had before realizing my previous light didn't have enough PAR.

Ah ok. Normally it would be fine, but if they are already compromised, I can see why you'd worry. I'd make sure at least one photoperiod is a minimum of four hours. If I remember right that is how long plants need to do photosynthesis.

Smoke Signals Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm using Excel, dual Hydro V sponge filters, a Finnex Planted Plus LED fixture plus a Fluval Full Spectrum LED fixture. Actually I misspoke about the photo period now that I went to check. I have the timer running 8 hr split photo period, 4 hrs for each part.

Most of the algae is cyanobacteria now that I look at it carefully... About half of it is that, then there's a green haze on the glass, and a bit of hair algae on the rest... I'm actually not sure that many of the plants are salvageable at this point, but I want to give them a chance :( Especially my fissidens fontanus moss, I'd hate to lose it all after spending so much time growing it out in my other tanks...

Cyano ? Darn, that's a rough one. GL. I've only had an algae issue in one tank, so I'm sure others will have better advice.

Smoke Signals Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah... This is my first time dealing with cyano :(

I know it thrives in low flow areas, but since this tank is meant to be a breeding tank I don't know how to up the flow without endangering the babies. I was hoping dual over-sized sponge filters would do the trick....

best way to remove algae is to put a bristle nose in the tank they will clean every bit of it in a few weeks and keep the glass and plants spotless

I have otos, in addition to ghost shrimp and nerites already. Critters that eat algae are not something I'm lacking, and I don't really want to get a BN that will uproot my staurogyne starts :( From what I've read, no algae eaters will touch cyanobacteria anyways.

Back
Top Bottom