Best way to prep java moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nkoyko

Aquarium Advice Freak
So I purchased some java moss from a fish store yesterday and was trying to figure out the best way to clean it to put it into my tank (get rid or snail, etc). I was also curious of the best way to attach the moss to a piece of driftwood. Any help is much appreciated!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

peroxide dip and fishing line, i personally forgot to dip a plant when i bought it and received dozens off unwanted snails...

I have peroxide so that will work for me.

There are snails in the moss. I can see them sitting on the bottom of the bag when I let it sit. I can't tell what type of snails they are. I have MTS that I put in the tank and wanted but the fish store had assassin snails that were in with the moss and I don't want my MTS killed.

Yea i cant even tell what mine are, never seen them before but they are still very small. once they get bigger ill be posting on here for an ID if i cant myself. i also have mts but i would hate for some random kind of snail to just start eating all my plants of whatever.

H2O2 may be rough on moss, if you happen to have potassium permanganate sitting around (as one does) I think that works better and is less stressful on plants:

Information on Getting rid of Unwanted Snails

Bleach works as well but it sounds more dangerous.

Again, H2O2 works fine but you'll probably "burn" your moss a bit.

I used reef glue for my moss tree. Dried almost instantly and much easier than tying it down.

Caleb

Clean it in dechlorinated tap, h202 will kill it, you can simply tie on with zip.ties. come in green too!

Ok so I'm swishing the moss in clean dechlorinated water to try and remove as many snails as possible and then I'm going to let the moss sit so more snails can fall out. I grabbed a picture of the little things, can anyone tell me what they are? I threw a baby MTS in there to compare it but I can't find an answer.

Attachments

• 1445902535879.jpg
    1445902535879.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 94
At a glance, they do look like Malaysian Trumpets! If you don't want them, I'll take them ? I love those guys! For treating plants, I siphon off tank water into a big bowl and squirt some hydrogen peroxide in. Got rid of some annoying filament type algae that way. Then I rinse off with either pretreated water I have set aside or RO, drip acclimate them again in another bowl and put them back. NBD!

They definitely aren't MTS. I have a whole mess of those and love them in my tanks to keep the tanks looking good and the substrate aerated.

I'm thinking these might be pond snails but I've never seen pond snails in person.

I'm fairly certain these are livebearers as you can see they are all different sizes.

Hard to say but pond snails are more compact usually

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Definitely not pond snails or assassin snails. Assassin baby's will look identical to an adult assassin color wise.

MTS would be my best guess. May be way off but rabbit snail? I think those are a thing at least...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

They don't look like any MTS I have and I tossed one in there to compare (it is in the picture, the light colored, very pointy one). If I remember I should call the place I got the moss from and see of they know what snails they have in with their moss. I know that one of their tanks was filled with assassin snails but fish wrangler I believe you are correct in them not being assassin. I will try googling rabbit snails and see what comes up.

Goggle search on rabbit snails leads me to believe they are not rabbit snails. All the Google images show rabbit snails to have a very grooved she'll and they bodies are bright yellow. Some of these have smooth conical shells, others have very defined swirls in the shells. The bodies also range from black to light almost clear in color.

I'm thinking of growing them out a little to see what the heck they are.

Here is a better picture. The MTS on the left is mine out of my aquarium. The other two are from the moss. They maybe a different type of MTS but I can't find anything that looks like them.

Attachments

• 1445921576498.jpg
    1445921576498.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 60
Here my one MTS I got as a hitchhiker in my mix of Java/Christmas moss. It doesn't look anything like your established MTS. The LFS I got my moss from just shrugged and said if I don't mind a bonus MTS he doesn't mind not charging for it. They're the only snails in his moss tank. If you find they're something else, let me know. I'm not interested in having something mess with my shrimp.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445939380.335077.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

my mts looks different then both of the other posts.. It seems that can look quite different depending on water conditions ect so your new acquisitions may be mts with different types of shells?

Back
Top Bottom