Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-24-2007, 12:37 PM   #1
AA Team Emeritus

best way to ship a crypt???

Hello,
I am about to ship a crypt red wendtii for the first time to a fellow member and want to make sure it makes it in happy shape. I am thinking of potting it to reduce stress...any other suggestions? Does it need a heat pack? or will it be ok...anyone have exp with this that will help me?

I already plan to hand it to the carrier so it is not sitting in the box outside. But just wanted to double check if there is something I can do to help it remain happy.

It is a 2 month old start off of the original plant and never had problems when I moved it from the mother plant.

Thanks!

Old 02-24-2007, 12:50 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Two methods (both will need a heat pack due to weather):

1. Place crypt in a fish bag with a bit of water, then close bag with as much air as it can tolerate.

2. Wrap crypts roots in paper towel moistened with tank water. Place in ziplock bag.

When placing in shipping box, make sure box is well padded. Newspapers, fish bags with air or anything along those lines will work as padding.

Ship.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Make sure you ship it US priority post. $4.05 will ship anywhere in the US in 2-3 days. If you go to USPS online, you can "order" a bundle of shipping boxes for free.

Oh, and Jc, is spot on with how to ship em.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:59 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Mosaic
I've shipped JustChillin's #2 method and the plant made it ok. I believe the dreaded crypt melt would be due more to a change in water conditions rather than the stress of being shipped. So it should arrive ok, even if it melts shortly afterwards.

55g: (Mostly) African riverine species: Alestes Chaperi, breeding pair of Kribs, and rhino pleco
30g: Newly established reef tank
10g: Planted but fishless
5g: Unplanted with various snail species
2.5g: Heavily planted with betta.
Mosaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 07:12 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with most everting above. I have shipped using #2 almost exclusively. The only thing I would add is to wrap a heat pack in a single layer of news paper. I like to use the biodegradable popcorn to help insulate the plants. Don't be stingy on the size of the box. The farther away you can get the plants from the outside of the box, the warmer they will stay.

Also, I like to take the package to the post office. That way it starts from the building, not being carried around with the letter carrier.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Recently I order some plants online. The plants shipped to me in 3 days under temperature below 20F without heat pack, and all plants are still ok.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:58 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

OK, Thanks!

That sounds easy enough. I have plenty of USPS priority boxes so no problems there....these heat packs....best place to buy them??? Can I use the heat packs made for sore muscles? I have one of those in the house already....otherwise...what should I look for??
Old 02-24-2007, 11:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use these and I go for the 72 hour packs. Ken's prices are as good as some and better than most. You can also search on ebay too.

72 hours will get you to most places in the country safely.
Old 02-25-2007, 12:07 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

If the temps between you and your recipient aren't too bad, you can also get away with the handwarmers generally sold in the sporting section of Walmart and such. The main reason these aren't as good as the ones that SpaKy recommends, is that they don't work as long.
Purrbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 12:44 PM   #10
AA Team Emeritus

Thanks so much! I have ordered some good ones. Sparky....those prices aare good...THANKS! I want to make sure these get there in great shape and thanks to all of you they certainly will.

It is nice to be able to trade plants here, I have gotten some from other members and it feels great to be able to send some out as well. Completing the circle if you will.

What a wonderful community this is!
Old 02-26-2007, 12:51 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yea the hand warmers only work for about 10 hours, I use them if Im snowboarding up north. They also lose heat with water contact.
Old 02-26-2007, 01:53 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Are there disadvantages to wrapping an entire plant in a paper towel, instead of just the roots? That's the way I've shipped plants and it seems to work fine? Should I start doing roots only?

Btw, sorry for the thread hijack happygirl65.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com