Betta bowl looking good

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Taco

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Just started this bioorb. Planted it somewhat heavily for a 4g. It has one Betta and 4 neons.
Don't know if the little bioorb light can keep these plants alive. But we'll see!

Attachments

• image-1466646798.jpg
    image-1466646798.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 87
  • image-3941072973.jpg
    image-3941072973.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 77
  • image-3165078658.jpg
    image-3165078658.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 84
it looks nice but IMO your very over stocked alot of members here agree a 10g should be the minium for a betta and neons need room to swim much more than a biorbe 4g can offer also they need to be in a school of 6+

Another blog I have been reading said that neons in schools over 5 would eat the Betta! So we kept it to 4. I think we'll prob upgrade soon though. The planted tank is cool.
As far as bioload the tank is well cycled and I added some extra carbon. But we'll see you're prob right.

Taco said:
Another blog I have been reading said that neons in schools over 5 would eat the Betta! So we kept it to 4. I think we'll prob upgrade soon though. The planted tank is cool.
As far as bioload the tank is well cycled and I added some extra carbon. But we'll see you're prob right.

i didnt mean to sound arrogant just trying to help. but for blogs etc they may successfuly keep them but the fish will be stressed and cramped. as for the tetra eating the betta mabye but its very unlikely neon tetra tend to be very peaceful if anything itd be betta pickking on the tetra. can you rehome the tetra at all? 4g for a betta is bare minium as it is even still biorb dosnt allow much swimming room. as for the carbon that dosnt do anything except for filterin out meda tannis etc. if you want tankk mates for the betta look at a snail or two or ghost or rcs shrimp they may become a snack though

Unfortunately, I see a few issues with the tank:

1. The stocking, as previously mentioned. I am all for pushing the conventional limits of stocking a tank, but I don't think your choices will be successful for the fish long term

2. The plants. I see at least 3 non aquatic plants in the setup. Regardless of the lighting, these plants will not survive when submerged. They will eventually rot and die. It might take awhile but it will happen. It is best to research plants as well as fish before adding them to a tank. It is very easy to make impulse buys in the hobby (I have been guilty of it before too!) but in the end it often leads to frustration and money wasted.

3. There should be no reason to run activated carbon in the tank

Last edited:
I spy 2 Dracena sanderiana (white ribbon plants) and at least one O. japonica (mondo grass)

fort384 said:
I spy 2 Dracena sanderiana (white ribbon plants) and at least one O. japonica (mondo grass)

i ser the mondo now shpulda realized it sooner when i first started i bought some (oops) and i needa call my lfs there sellin white ribbon as an aquatic plant. a good tip for tellin if a plant is terriatial look for woody stem and thick waxy leaves

Taco said:

Umm... Whatever blog you saw is confusing piranhas with neons... I'd still upgrade 10 gallon if I were you...

Homedog98 said:
Umm... Whatever blog you saw is confusing piranhas with neons... I'd still upgrade 10 gallon if I were you...

id say even a 15 betta gets his space you can bump up the neons to a 6 and mabye add corys there a fav around here mabye ottos too if you upgrade

xxwolfpackof1xx said:
id say even a 15 betta gets his space you can bump up the neons to a 6 and mabye add corys there a fav around here mabye ottos too if you upgrade

Definitely.

Sounds like I have some shopping to do this weekend!
Thanks for the pointers guys. Got any advice on good plants to replace the non aquatic ones?

Are u serious about neons eating betta? Makes me laugh a lot. I have similar set up with 5 neons (used to be more) and a male betta. My betta chase the neons all the time. They do fine in my 10g for almost a year. Attach picture is my crowntail with neons.

Attachments

• 04032011687s.jpg
    04032011687s.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 57
While if you want to keep the neons, upgrading might be good, the size you have now is fine for one betta.

Back
Top Bottom