Better Lighting for Plants. Please Help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
How long are you running your light for ?

I only run my lights 6 to 8 hours a day total. Over that can cause algae.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

12 hours a day. When I leave to school and after I eat dinner. Should I set up a timer?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Ok. Should I have a midday blackout so I could keep it on longer in he afternoon? How long?

I run mine 3 hours in the morning and 5 hours in the evening. I just try to have a tank lights on when I know I'm going to be home so I can enjoy the tank. You can adjust to your schedule, but at least one of the photoperiods should be at least four hours long.

Ok. Any lights though? I am staling until tomorrow to go to get them, but need to figure it out?

If I were you I would just get a brooder lamp with a daylight 6500k bulb as suggested before. Compact CFL's can be your best friend because they do work for cheap. You don't even need a hood because you can hang a brooder from the ceiling. It is super easy and inexpensive. If you want a carpet, you have to have more light. I run co2, but it is not absolutely mandatory because you can use Flourish Excel, but it will wind up costing you more in the long run. I got the brooder and a 45w 5500k bulb for a total of like $27.

uploadfromtaptalk1423784242045.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1423784311003.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1423784377254.jpg

As well, you can add a normal desk lamp with an additional cfl if you wish. I have a glass canopy so nothing falls in. Two clip on desk lamps with t5 lighting in back

uploadfromtaptalk1423784621092.jpg

Obsession is a matter of opinion

If I were you I would just get a brooder lamp with a daylight 6500k bulb as suggested before. Compact CFL's can be your best friend because they do work for cheap. You don't even need a hood because you can hang a brooder from the ceiling. It is super easy and inexpensive. If you want a carpet, you have to have more light. I run co2, but it is not absolutely mandatory because you can use Flourish Excel, but it will wind up costing you more in the long run. I got the brooder and a 45w 5500k bulb for a total of like $27.

View attachment 264163

View attachment 264165

View attachment 264167

As well, you can add a normal desk lamp with an additional cfl if you wish. I have a glass canopy so nothing falls in. Two clip on desk lamps with t5 lighting in back

View attachment 264170

I want to keep my hood. Can I have those and the light I have now?

Yes because you need a lot of light. Below is how my tank looked when I first planted my tank

Because my tank is 24" high, I wanted to concentrate my light where I needed it so I did not flood my whole tank with light to avoid algae. I just clipped my desk lamps onto the stand like so but I used one on each side. But as stated already, you can get algae problems without co2, so make sure you use Excel if you can and moniter for algae

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1423786854395.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1423786854395.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 56
Using flourish. Do I need a glass top

It would be better because it gives you a world of options as far as lighting goes

I looked, but at least at Petco, options are limited. The LEDs are too weak. Even the Sat+ I think you'd need 2 ?

The only option under $100 was the one I linked AFAIK.

If you have room in your lid you might be able to add an LED strip but typically the LEDs do not function that great on the taller tanks. And most of them are still low light.

I'd save your pennies and check this forum for people selling lights or join the planted tank and look at people selling used lights or check craigslist. Or buy new from Petco and just save up the money.

Is that pic of a low light? I have a small clip on desk lamp and I checked the bulb. It is 40 watts! That is double my tanks light I have now! I might clamp It on the side and have it shingling in through the side of my tank? The only problem it the bulb has a yellow glow, but I can easily replace the bulb. Could I possibly get a 20" fluorescent like I have, and the open few inches, add a clip on lite with a 40 watt bulb? A low light and medium light half of my tank? Another problem,the boule gets hot and I don't want a fire hazard. If it heats my water, I could lower my tank temp. Here's a drawing of what I was thinking.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423794010.345300.jpg

You could use the desk light, but more than likely it has an incandescent bulb. You will want one that looks like this

uploadfromtaptalk1423796955619.jpg

These are only 13 watts and will fit a desk lamp. Always check to see what the lamp can handle.

Good. 18 watt cfl bulbs are easy to get at hardware stores or Amazon

I am going to petco tomorrow and target is next door. I a, willing to spend 25 at target for a bulb and fixture.

Back
Top Bottom