Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 08-28-2015, 07:53 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Huro's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Asheville, North Carolina
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by irdajoh View Post
The plants use them up most likely. Or did you test after a water change?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
No given the time, but I will run the tests a little later on today and post my findings

__________________
"He who never made a mistake, never made a discovery".
Samuel Smiles
Huro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:59 AM   #22
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Huro's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Asheville, North Carolina
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by irdajoh View Post
The plants use them up most likely. Or did you test after a water change?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
I just realized I misunderstood your question, no I got those readings when I returned home after three weeks out of town.
__________________
"He who never made a mistake, never made a discovery".
Samuel Smiles
Huro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 07:59 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
fish wrangler's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NE Illinois
Posts: 4,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by irdajoh View Post
3 ppm phosphate is too high I believe 2 is the goal when dosing. it's not too hard to figure out what's wrong its an imbalance in nutrients too much phosphates and not enouge nitrates. When I made my pps solution I left out nitrate mix and had this problem, once I remade it I've haven't had bga. I didn't add any bc the tank already had 10-20 ppm nitrate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A Aquarium Advice mobile app
That 1ppm doesn't make that much of a difference I can assure you of that.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
3 tanks
a 29 gallon high tech planted Chasing Red, a 20 long low tech, and a 75 gallon salty adventure
fish wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:19 AM   #24
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Virginia
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huro View Post
My current mixture for macros is 29g K2So4, 33g kNo3, 3G KH2Po4, 20g MGSo4 as was per the instructions on my mixing bottle, what would you suggest?. Also given that I am not able to dose everyday due to being out of town could that be causing my issue?
Yep, that has to be it then, the dosing schedule is kinds out of wack.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
irdajoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:49 AM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Huro's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Asheville, North Carolina
Posts: 607
Do you think I should use a dosing pump or is there perhaps another fert method I could use that doesn't require daily treatments.
__________________
"He who never made a mistake, never made a discovery".
Samuel Smiles
Huro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:00 AM   #26
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Virginia
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huro View Post
Do you think I should use a dosing pump or is there perhaps another fert method I could use that doesn't require daily treatments.
I don't think the automatic dosing pump would be a good idea as its costly? I hope someone else can chime in about other methods for ferts. The reason it's daily is because it keeps the nutrients up so no deficiency occur. Missing a day could cause the imbalance

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
irdajoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:48 AM   #27
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Huro's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Asheville, North Carolina
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by irdajoh View Post
I don't think the automatic dosing pump would be a good idea as its costly? I hope someone else can chime in about other methods for ferts. The reason it's daily is because it keeps the nutrients up so no deficiency occur. Missing a day could cause the imbalance

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Well I already have one that I purchased for my 60g Discus project so no problem there. I think I will hold off on ferts etc until I return home, I will try the API erythromycin that was suggested to clear it out then get the dosing pump going. I will post the results as I go along, btw do you think my measurement of 1.5ml is correct for the ferts on a 16g?.

Thanks to all of you who have been helping me through this btw!
__________________
"He who never made a mistake, never made a discovery".
Samuel Smiles
Huro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:57 AM   #28
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Virginia
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huro View Post
Well I already have one that I purchased for my 60g Discus project so no problem there. I think I will hold off on ferts etc until I return home, I will try the API erythromycin that was suggested to clear it out then get the dosing pump going. I will post the results as I go along, btw do you think my measurement of 1.5ml is correct for the ferts on a 16g?.

Thanks to all of you who have been helping me through this btw!
Are you doing macros, and micros, plus flourish ex?

http://www.aquariumcalculators.com/a...-food/pps-pro/ I just found this and it's pretty good imo. This can help I hope

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
irdajoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 10:58 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Huro's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Asheville, North Carolina
Posts: 607
Yes all three
__________________
"He who never made a mistake, never made a discovery".
Samuel Smiles
Huro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 12:48 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Huro's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Asheville, North Carolina
Posts: 607
Great link thanks, I am sure it will
__________________
"He who never made a mistake, never made a discovery".
Samuel Smiles
Huro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:14 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Virginia
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huro View Post
Great link thanks, I am sure it will
Indeed. So how is it going?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
irdajoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 01:57 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Huro's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Asheville, North Carolina
Posts: 607
Still out of town until end of the week, my order of Em Erythromycin should be there by then. I plan on doing the 5 day treatment and then hooking up the dosing pump using the measurements from your link, hopefully things will go well. I will update
__________________
"He who never made a mistake, never made a discovery".
Samuel Smiles
Huro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 02:00 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Virginia
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huro View Post
Still out of town until end of the week, my order of Em Erythromycin should be there by then. I plan on doing the 5 day treatment and then hooking up the dosing pump using the measurements from your link, hopefully things will go well. I will update
Careful with antibacterial stuff.. you don't want to kill the good ones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
irdajoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 03:42 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Huro's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Asheville, North Carolina
Posts: 607
Being new to using this stuff I have wondered myself if that would be an issue, but it seems many people have had great success using it. I am wondering whether or not I should remove my biological media during treatment as it is far to expensive to simply replace with new and I worry that removing prior to treatment then returning it after treatment will only reinfect tank. Any thoughts?


Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
__________________
"He who never made a mistake, never made a discovery".
Samuel Smiles
Huro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 04:09 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Virginia
Posts: 151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huro View Post
Being new to using this stuff I have wondered myself if that would be an issue, but it seems many people have had great success using it. I am wondering whether or not I should remove my biological media during treatment as it is far to expensive to simply replace with new and I worry that removing prior to treatment then returning it after treatment will only reinfect tank. Any thoughts?


Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice
I honestly wouldn't use any medication I mean I've only been in the hobby for like a year but I've learned that keeping it simple natural is the best way to go

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
irdajoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:27 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
fish wrangler's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NE Illinois
Posts: 4,146
I didn't remove my bio media and didn't run carbon afterwards and had no ill effects. If you want remove half of your bio media, but I don't think you have to.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
3 tanks
a 29 gallon high tech planted Chasing Red, a 20 long low tech, and a 75 gallon salty adventure
fish wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:19 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Huro's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Asheville, North Carolina
Posts: 607
Quote:
Originally Posted by fish wrangler View Post
I didn't remove my bio media and didn't run carbon afterwards and had no ill effects. If you want remove half of your bio media, but I don't think you have to.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
That's great news, I have read that I should use twice the recommended dose on day one and run treatment for a total of five days. What are your thoughts on this? I know you had mentioned only using a half dose in previous post
__________________
"He who never made a mistake, never made a discovery".
Samuel Smiles
Huro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:39 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
fish wrangler's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NE Illinois
Posts: 4,146
Yea I was cheap/petsmart was out and I couldn't get a second pack to complete the treatment. I ended up being 2 or 3 packets short, and didn't want to pay $16 for 10 packets. I did follow the reccomended waterchanges

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app
__________________
3 tanks
a 29 gallon high tech planted Chasing Red, a 20 long low tech, and a 75 gallon salty adventure
fish wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:47 PM   #39
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
coralbandit's Avatar

POTM Champion
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Saratoga,NY
Posts: 6,943
Quick link on BGA ,also known as cyano.
Controlling cyanobacteria | The Skeptical Aquarist
I have killed BGA/cyano with emycin before in both marine and freshwater.
I think you just follow standard dosing for the med.
This is one of many links at the end of the link above^^!
Cyanobacteria (Blue-green Algae)

Good luck!
Hope the links help.
__________________
Mr.bandit is my YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCcS...zPAhmB9QK0UvMA
https://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/aucti...er&Coralbandit
^^These are my weekly sales^^ GOT RAMS ???
coralbandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:36 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
Huro's Avatar

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Asheville, North Carolina
Posts: 607
Thanks for the info and links you guys!.
__________________
"He who never made a mistake, never made a discovery".
Samuel Smiles
Huro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bga, night

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
BGA problem - please help this returning newbie! SMuenzner Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 1 10-30-2012 06:36 PM
BGA! Please help DCLXVI Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 8 10-22-2011 10:43 AM
Help! I'm fighting BGA but... corrado33 Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 5 06-14-2010 07:56 AM
Help with cyano/BGA and tank levels! Puddle Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks 14 04-23-2007 08:20 AM
BGA cyano help Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 9 04-12-2004 04:01 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.