BGA Nightmare please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The plants use them up most likely. Or did you test after a water change?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I just realized I misunderstood your question, no I got those readings when I returned home after three weeks out of town.

3 ppm phosphate is too high I believe 2 is the goal when dosing. it's not too hard to figure out what's wrong its an imbalance in nutrients too much phosphates and not enouge nitrates. When I made my pps solution I left out nitrate mix and had this problem, once I remade it I've haven't had bga. I didn't add any bc the tank already had 10-20 ppm nitrate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A Aquarium Advice mobile app

That 1ppm doesn't make that much of a difference I can assure you of that.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My current mixture for macros is 29g K2So4, 33g kNo3, 3G KH2Po4, 20g MGSo4 as was per the instructions on my mixing bottle, what would you suggest?. Also given that I am not able to dose everyday due to being out of town could that be causing my issue?

Yep, that has to be it then, the dosing schedule is kinds out of wack.

Do you think I should use a dosing pump or is there perhaps another fert method I could use that doesn't require daily treatments.

I don't think the automatic dosing pump would be a good idea as its costly? I hope someone else can chime in about other methods for ferts. The reason it's daily is because it keeps the nutrients up so no deficiency occur. Missing a day could cause the imbalance

I don't think the automatic dosing pump would be a good idea as its costly? I hope someone else can chime in about other methods for ferts. The reason it's daily is because it keeps the nutrients up so no deficiency occur. Missing a day could cause the imbalance

Well I already have one that I purchased for my 60g Discus project so no problem there. I think I will hold off on ferts etc until I return home, I will try the API erythromycin that was suggested to clear it out then get the dosing pump going. I will post the results as I go along, btw do you think my measurement of 1.5ml is correct for the ferts on a 16g?.

Thanks to all of you who have been helping me through this btw!

Well I already have one that I purchased for my 60g Discus project so no problem there. I think I will hold off on ferts etc until I return home, I will try the API erythromycin that was suggested to clear it out then get the dosing pump going. I will post the results as I go along, btw do you think my measurement of 1.5ml is correct for the ferts on a 16g?.

Thanks to all of you who have been helping me through this btw!

Are you doing macros, and micros, plus flourish ex?

http://www.aquariumcalculators.com/aquarium-plant-food/pps-pro/ I just found this and it's pretty good imo. This can help I hope

Still out of town until end of the week, my order of Em Erythromycin should be there by then. I plan on doing the 5 day treatment and then hooking up the dosing pump using the measurements from your link, hopefully things will go well. I will update

Still out of town until end of the week, my order of Em Erythromycin should be there by then. I plan on doing the 5 day treatment and then hooking up the dosing pump using the measurements from your link, hopefully things will go well. I will update

Careful with antibacterial stuff.. you don't want to kill the good ones.

Being new to using this stuff I have wondered myself if that would be an issue, but it seems many people have had great success using it. I am wondering whether or not I should remove my biological media during treatment as it is far to expensive to simply replace with new and I worry that removing prior to treatment then returning it after treatment will only reinfect tank. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Being new to using this stuff I have wondered myself if that would be an issue, but it seems many people have had great success using it. I am wondering whether or not I should remove my biological media during treatment as it is far to expensive to simply replace with new and I worry that removing prior to treatment then returning it after treatment will only reinfect tank. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I honestly wouldn't use any medication I mean I've only been in the hobby for like a year but I've learned that keeping it simple natural is the best way to go

I didn't remove my bio media and didn't run carbon afterwards and had no ill effects. If you want remove half of your bio media, but I don't think you have to.

I didn't remove my bio media and didn't run carbon afterwards and had no ill effects. If you want remove half of your bio media, but I don't think you have to.

That's great news, I have read that I should use twice the recommended dose on day one and run treatment for a total of five days. What are your thoughts on this? I know you had mentioned only using a half dose in previous post

Yea I was cheap/petsmart was out and I couldn't get a second pack to complete the treatment. I ended up being 2 or 3 packets short, and didn't want to pay $16 for 10 packets. I did follow the reccomended waterchanges

Back
Top Bottom