Big changes are coming.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FreshwaterTropical

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I want to change a few things get rid of a few of plants and fish. I will plan to buy some new plants and fish, what do you think? I am really looking for anything floating?
The tank is a 37 gallon community, with great lights for basically any plants. What are your thoughts on the attached pics from my LFS today, they are just a few things that I was interested in especially the hillstream loaches???

Attachments

• image-1953139592.jpg
    image-1953139592.jpg
    140.6 KB · Views: 124
  • image-1052409322.jpg
    image-1052409322.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 116
  • image-1329817578.jpg
    image-1329817578.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 111
  • image-2349216473.jpg
    image-2349216473.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 111
  • image-670422955.jpg
    image-670422955.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 124
Thinking about getting rid of the platys and maybe a few other fish. Also downsizing on a few of the large plants!

Fish tank details/stocking:,
*fish
- 5 platy, 2 male, 3 female?
-3 silver tip tetras
-1 lemon tetra
-1 zebra botia loach
-3 clown pleco
-1 gold gourami male
-1 peacock eel
*inverts
-6 mystery/apple snails
-pond snails
*plants
- money wort, water Hyssop, Bacopa (Bacopa monnieri)
- wisteria
- java fern
- micro sword
- green cabomba
- amazon sword
- java moss
- anubias nana
- giant hair grass
- onion bulbs
- water lily
- aponogeton
-Cabomba pulcherrima "Purple Cabomba"
-Banana Plant "nymphoides aquatica"
- duckweed

Idk what my plans are, but I kinda want a real big centerpiece fish or something? But what can I get with my plants? Don't worry I would get rid of many of the fish in the tank!

FreshwaterTropical said:
Idk what my plans are, but I kinda want a real big centerpiece fish or something? But what can I get with my plants? Don't worry I would get rid of many of the fish in the tank!

Pearl Gourami is a fav of mine. Loves planted tanks. Peaceful for their size.

Hillstream Loaches need river tanks IMHO.
My friend has them in a 60 with powerheads.

Ok that's cool. I kinda liked the look of the loaches at the store, how about gold dojo loach?

Ok that's cool. I kinda liked the look of the loaches at the store, how about gold dojo loach?

I don't know what fish you should get, but I had a golden dojo loach many years ago and all he did was uproot my plants. It became a pain to replant the plants everyday.

Yeah they are cool, but I really would truly rather get something that is a predator and would be fed live fish??? Are there any others that I could keep besides Ctenolucius Hujeta? My friend once had a needlefish in his 36 gallon tank? What about them?

FreshwaterTropical said:
Yeah they are cool, but I really would truly rather get something that is a predator and would be fed live fish??? Are there any others that I could keep besides Ctenolucius Hujeta? My friend once had a needlefish in his 36 gallon tank? What about them?

Piscivores typically need big tanks with big filtration. They are very messy. Needlefish may prefer schools and plants to hide among. They are prone to collisions with the sides if you startle them in too bare of a tank.

Live fish ??? Goldfish are NOT a healthy diet. Are you planning to breed Guppies or your own food ??? Pelleted and Frozen Food, plus select Live Food is ok. A diet of just GF ?? Bad.
IMHO

I had snakes and Tarantulas for years. Eating Live is overrated for me ;)

Study up if you truly want a Piscivore
Here is a good article on the pros and cons
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/fwsubwebindex/fdgfdrartneale.htm

I was thinking feeder guppies, and I know that it is not the entire diet! I just kinda am thinking something big, and odd! I guess I am really tired of small community fish!

I'm kinda rethinking what I'm going to do, the first step will be to find some nice driftwood, and aquascape around my plants! Then I will think about fish!

Back
Top Bottom