Bill's return of the 12 gallon long...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh, sorry for the confusion guys. The tank will not be in front of that mirror... I just placed it there for pictures. I just haven't moved the other piece of furniture that the tank used to sit on yet. The tank stand will be replacing this buffet table type thing and will sit in the center of this large window.

However, we're listing our house next month, so really it's just a matter of what will look best with the stand itself...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hope your new place has the mancave/fish room you always wanted.

Anyways, I think I'd personally go with a black painted conduit pipe to match everything. When viewing the tank in a dark room, the pipe would be close to invisible. Less distraction from the scape itself..

Didn't paint the statue of liberty black?? Leaning tower of pizza..nope not black... eiffle tower? Still not black.. If you're going stealth? Save the time and just hang it from fishing line..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thank you all for chiming in! I really appreciate all of your opinions!

I was leaning towards painting it black. The similar well done light stands I've seen painted black look really nice.

Although a brushed look might complement the setup as a whole, with a nice bit of opposing color...

Decisions, decisions...

I'll wait and see what the brushed looks like first, once the stand is finished, and make the decision to paint it or not then...

Tracking info shows the black laminate should be here Friday. So maybe... Just maybe... The stand might be completed by this weekend... Trying not to rush the build though, so it might be another week.

I've also got a few extras for the stand on order from Amazon... Stay tuned!!! :D

Got the doors on a few days ago. Not my first choice, but I decided to go with MDF for the doors because of cost and what HD had compared to what I needed... The euro style hinges were a lot easier to install than I thought(with the right tool) Everything lined up very well, so, I'm happy. :D

Nice hinge bore! MDF sprays up beautifully.. keep.it dry in the meantime;)

Nice hinge bore! MDF sprays up beautifully.. keep.it dry in the meantime;)

Thanks! It'll be covered with laminate, not painted. :)

This little investment makes hanging those hinges a breeze!

Thanks! It'll be covered with laminate, not painted. :)

This little investment makes hanging those hinges a breeze!

Looks great! I was about to ask what you used, but then you posted the pic. Thanks. I'm in the process of building a stand myself. I have those euro style hinges (recycled of a thrown away desk). Is that bit a universal bit or do I need a specific size?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Looks great! I was about to ask what you used, but then you posted the pic. Thanks. I'm in the process of building a stand myself. I have those euro style hinges (recycled of a thrown away desk). Is that bit a universal bit or do I need a specific size?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks! They had a kit at Home Depot right next to the hinges. I think it was about $15. Comes with the 35mm bit and the plastic jig for marking the holes. I think most of, if not all the euro hinges are 35mm.

Sneak peak, as I work on all the finishing touches... Don't mind the concrete floor, just broke up all the old tile and we're having new carpet put in soon...

Awesome! Looking professional... if I ever get a 12L, I'm going to hit you up for the blueprints.

So, one of the little details I wanted to add to the stand was an in cabinet light. I picked up an LED fixture for under cabinet lighting, and also two magnetic switches.

Here is the door side of the switch:

And inside the cabinet is the other end, that is wired to the LEDs:

And, just a picture of the light:

I have a switch wired to each door, so regardless which side I open, the light will turn on. Here's a quick vid of it in action:

ITS ALL IN THE DETAILS! ;)

Where's the vid?

I like the idea of the lighting in the inside of the stand. I was going to do something similar by getting a motion sensor light or a tap light, definitely dummy proof and less sophisticated than some magnetic switches.

I couldn't get the vid to work right from photobucket.

It only works from my iPhone if you tap on the last image and select "follow link." Either watch it from the web browser, or once I went back to the aa app, it would play the video... Weird.

Oh okay.. I see it now. Didn't know photobucket had vids. Was expecting a YouTube. Lol

Pretty neat light and innovative way for it to turn on automatically.

Thanks, I was considering using a switch that gets pushed when the door closes, like in a refrigerator, or one of those motion lights. I came across these on Amazon, they worked out really well! :)

Looks great man!! I used the tetra led that came in my first tank kit:) worked alot better lighting up the cabinet than it did growing plants!

Back
Top Bottom