black algae getting me down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tam

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Black (and to a lesser extent green) algae have been problematic since I started my tank a year and a half ago. I have a 140 gal tank with 384 watts of light on for 10 hours a day. There is no direct light on it. I have 5 ottos, 4 algae eaters, 1 SAE, 2 plecos, and a bunch of other non-algae eaters. It has always been a stable system with:
pH: 8.0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 5 ppm
Ammonia - 0 - 0.25 ppm
Phosphate - 0 - 0.1 ppm
and added salt to 0.1%.

I have never checked hardness but am sure it is high considering my water supply.

I tried Algae Fix last year but it didn't help and now, despite multiple water changes and 6 months, every time I try to add shrimp, they die. (How long will that last?)

Do I need to do CO2? Should I try a UV filter? Is this just an unavoidable problem?

Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• smaller_tank_pic2_203.jpg
    smaller_tank_pic2_203.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 40
  • smaller_algae2_pic_452.jpg
    smaller_algae2_pic_452.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 70
With that much light, you might need CO2 injection. I wouldn't rely too much on chemicals, even though I've used Algae Destroyer in the past to get rid of green water. But it's not recommended to use chemicals. Kind of sounds like your nutrients are a little out of whack. Others in here will be better at helping with this, as I'm just starting my first planted tank and learning myself.

I think that you need CO2 you have 2.75 wpg that puts you in CO2 territory. With that size tank you are going to need pressurized. You could add excel until you a get a unit but it is not a long term solution as the excel will get expensive. The algae you describe ussually comes about when there is not enough CO2 for the plants to out compete it.

My other thought is your phosphate is almost non exsistent and your Nitrate is 5.0. The PO4 and NO3 should be in a 1 to 10 ratio. You should look at the fertilizer fert at the top of this forum. Getting your ferts balanced will also help control your algae.

It sounds like the same carpet algae that I have been battling in my tank. It just grows over everything and takes over your tank like a carpet. I have been using phosphate remover to controle it, which seems to work, but the results aren't instatanious. If you use it, you will notice the algae thinning out in about 2-3 weeks.

I got a bit fortunate though. I found these snails in my tank, the ones with the cone shaped shells, and they have been going to town on this algae, cleaning my tank right up. So if you don't mind a few snails, they might be worth a try. Then you can get some Loaches, or feed them to an African Cichlid if you have any. Some people will also get female Bettas to take care of the snails as well.

Co2 is a must. Turn over infected gravel and bury it. Prune infected leaves. Add Co2 A.S.A.P.

Thanks everyone -
Sounds like I need to make the CO2 plunge. Anyone have recommendations for a good system?

For a 140 Gal. You'll need pressurized system, I picked up the milwaukee Regulator/controller combo. you don't really need the controller, but it is nice. (extra 70$). a 10lb tank would be good, can get them at most fire control places or microbreweries. Might want to call each to see which price is better.

You'ld also need a reactor of some sort. I have a phosban reactor that cost 30$ in use.. it is extremely efficient, can be hooked inline with most cannister filters, or it can be used with a powerhead.

Also, if you are going to that extent, might as well get some live plants to replace the fake ones (once the algae is under control). this will also remove any affected fake plants.

You can learn a lot by reading the stickies on this forum. Take a look at them and if you have any questions let us know.

As an aside: your NO3 level (~5 ppm is slightly low and may not be accurately measured by most low-end test kits; don't consider them accurate - 10-15ppm is desirable). Your PO4 is also dangerously low by most standards (same advice as NO3); keep it around .2-.5 ppm. Do you actually have measurable levels of ammonia? - not good if so. Lastly, do not add salt (NaCl) to a planted tank - it does no good and can kill your plants and inverts).

Anyone have an idea how log after using Algae Fix before shrimp can survive in the tank again?

Back
Top Bottom