Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-13-2011, 03:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Black algae on plants and gravel

Hey guys I recently noticed that some of my plants swell as my gravel is starting to get this kind of black algae. It really doesn't look very nice. If anyones got any idea of how I could remove the algae from my plants and gravel plz speak up thanks.

Old 04-13-2011, 10:33 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

It sounds like Black Brush Algae (BBA). Keeping CO2 levels steady and excess nutrient levels down is the best way to control BBA. You can use hydrogen peroxide to treat existing BBA. Using a syringe, inject the peroxide into the tank near the BBA. It should start dying in a couple days and you can scrape it off most things.

Feel free to PM me directly with questions.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 04:04 PM   #3

Good advice by BigJim.
On the aesthetics point of view, as simple as it sounds mechanical removal is the fastest and most effective way to get rid of it. Wash the gravel and wipe the plants delicately until it's gone.

Tags
algae, algae on plants, gravel, plant, plants

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com