Black beard algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kellylake01

Aquarium Advice Regular
I HAVE HAD ENOUGH IM READY TO START A WAR TO GIT RID OF BBA

i have added co2 and adjusted lights bleached all of the decorations removed any leaves with BBA and im still having tufts popping up !!!

Im ready to do some chemical warfare!!!! i have read mixed reviews but i think im ready to add alagefix if it wont decimate my fish population

30g community tank with live plants..... most of the plants have had alot of "trimming" done they all seem to have new growth coming up

70 W metal halide, no ferts of any sorts, my plants are amazon swords apagathenan and dwarf lilys, my substrate is pool sand mixed with clay balls the tank has been set up for a couple of years

BBA is typically a result of unbalanced conditions, specifically insufficient carbon relative to the amount of light provided. Depending on the size of your tank, it is likely that your MH is simply too much for the tank. Coupled with a complete lack of ferts, it quickly becomes a recipe for algae and lackluster plant growth. Your lack of success at riding the tank of the algae with more traditional methods further attests to an environment that is conducive to algae growth.

Adding excel might be a long term solution, but co2 and a proper fertilization regimen is the best way to deal with almost any form of algae.

Last edited:
went out and bought some firts for the tank and im working on water quality (got my python !!!) and now i have a question on determining amount of light for my tank i have a 30 g with amazon swords and dwarf water lilys and a couple of others that im thinking about just yanking cuz algae is growing on all the leaves how would i determin a light cycle that would keep them growing and kill BBA?

Back
Top Bottom