Black beard algae taken over!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

_skyla_

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone, I'm having some problems with black beard algae it's everywhere and covering my plants and driftwood. My tank looks awful :(
I'm going to go get some seachem exel tomorrow and see if that helps since cutting down on the lights hasn't done a thing. I've heard about bleaching or peroxide but I don't want to have to remove everything if I can help it.
Another things I've heard of is getting a Chinese/Siamese algae eater? Is it true they eat this stuff? Should I get some? I have bristle nose plecos but they don't touch the stuff.

The Siamese algae eater and excel will work but you have to figure out why you are getting the algae. Usually it do to lighting, how long are you leaving your lights on. Are you doing weekly water changes? Tell us about your tank.

I have been leaving the lights on too long lately I need to get a timer so I don't forget. I do weekly water changes of 50%. My tank is 41g. I have my stock list on my profile. I also stopped dosing with liquid ferts a few months ago, due to budget at the time. I know that these things have probably caused it. I guess all I can do now is try and correct it. And now I can get back to dosing exel and API leaf zone.
I'll see if I can find a Siamese algae eater tomorrow. How many should I get?

Not promoting the quick fix but Amano shrimp will chow down the bba as well!

So I got some seachem comprehensive and exel. Picked up three algae eaters hopefully they are the right ones. I asked as they were just labelled algae eaters and not Chinese/Siamese algae eaters and was told they would be the same ? Hoping this will help. We can't get the Amano shrimp here in Western Australia but thanks :)

Dear Skyla.
I'm sorry you were told wrong. The Chinese and the Siamese algae eaters are two separate species. The Chinese is known to eat less algae and more regular fish food and get larger as it gets older. Also there have been instances of them injuring other fish by sucking on their slime as they sleep. The Siamese stays smaller and continues to eat algae all his life.
I swear, there is a person out there that has the ability, like Santa Claus, to be able to transport instantly anywhere in the world to fish and pet shops giving people false, costly information. I think we should call him the Fake Fishmonger. We can call him FF for short. Able to leap continents in a single bound where misinformation is needed.
People when you confront this individual take everything he says and research it for yourself first. What a shame.
OS.

So I got some seachem comprehensive and exel. Picked up three algae eaters hopefully they are the right ones. I asked as they were just labelled algae eaters and not Chinese/Siamese algae eaters and was told they would be the same ? Hoping this will help. We can't get the Amano shrimp here in Western Australia but thanks :)

Sorry skyla, aglae eaters and Siamese algae eaters ain't the same fish. As old scales mentioned, even the Chinese algae eaters are different. Are u able to bring those three algae eaters back?? And maybe do a bit of research so you are able to distinguish the difference.

As for black beard algae. One of the more common causes is high phosphate level, how often and how much are u feeding?

Oh, I see you are from WA. So u live in Perth? If you do, I work in a fish store down south called aquotix aquarium. We will be able to help u pick up true Siamese algae eater there! :)

Yeah they are usually pretty good but I obviously just got the wrong person. I don't think they have them there for me to even swap my 3 algae eaters with.

Yeah they are usually pretty good but I obviously just got the wrong person. I don't think they have them there for me to even swap my 3 algae eaters with.

Trade it for store credit? Haha anyways, if anything u can bring it in to aquotix and we may be able to give u store credit for them 3. Though u may not get much credit.

So I picked up 4 proper Siamese algae eaters. They are doing a great job so far the tank is getting there and looking so clean! I still have the CAE in there I can't catch the little buggers.

Back
Top Bottom