black green spot algae???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flitabout

Aquarium Advice Addict
I notice this morning that I have some odd black spots on the out flow of my powerhead that I use for co2 diffusion, and on a couple of my sword leaves. It is definitely not bba. It's tough and doesn't want to come off. I tested my phosphate this morning and it's pretty low at .25ppm I dosed a double dose of macros from my pps-pro. Does green spot turn black?
37g
Ammo-0
nitrite-0
nitrate-10
pH 7-7.2
phosphate-.25
temp-80
lights-quad t5ho 7hours with a 4 hour siesta

Increasingly phosphates is what I would try first also. Try and get your phosphates up between one and 3 ppm. I also have quad T5 HO's. Does yours have separate controls for each pair of bulbs? I have mine set with two bulbs first 30 minutes, all for six hours, back to two bulbs last 30 minutes. But your seven hour period should be almost exactly the same. OS.

Still, I would think your lighting procedure is just fine, don't you? The trick for finding out the source of the problem is to deal with it one thing at a time. That way you know which one worked. LOL.
OS.

I thought it was and honestly my first thought when I saw it was to test the phosphates which were low. I just tested again after a 2x dose of my macro bottle and it is still low. Is there a way to dose just the dry?

Yes, you can do a one-time dose. Add 1/4 teaspoon of the straight dry phosphorus from your PPS pack, mix with 4 ounces of water in a measuring cup till dissolved mostly then put in the tank. Wait overnight and then test again. Works great when you need to get potassium or phosphorus up quick. I wouldn't do it with nitrates though for obvious reasons. Let me know what it brings your level up to tomorrow. Take care, OS.

Sounds like a plan. It will go down to about 3ppm by the week's WC if it does like mine. Now we'll see if it helps kick the plants up and the algae down.

Back
Top Bottom