Black sand or black gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sand is lovely, but I started with sand and switched to gravel, and found it to be much less painful to work with. The Flourite Black gravel I've got is kind of like really rough chunky sand, I like it.

Shadey said:
Sand is lovely, but I started with sand and switched to gravel, and found it to be much less painful to work with. The Flourite Black gravel I've got is kind of like really rough chunky sand, I like it.

I live sand too but It always gets sucked up a lot by the siphon. Maybe the Fourite black gravel is the way to go.

Is the black fluorite the same as black bueaty sand. If so i read a article the said it was iron slag, or something like that. Well any way I used it in my cichlid tank with no problem except it would stick to my magnet scrapper and scratch my glass. It was hard to see black on black.

Seachem black fourite is clay based, won't stick to your magnetic cleaners!

Anyone have experience with the caribsea tahitian moon black sand?

I dont yet but have recently just purchased caribsea tahitian moon black sand for my 55 FW build. so I will tell you in a few months lol

GuppyLover, How long have you used the Black Sand?

Around 4 months. I have never had any problems with it. I have to stay at least 3 inches above the sand or I suck up a lot but when I stay that far I don't suck up any. I used half of a ten pound bag and haven't had to add any extra yet. I think HUKIT uses it in his tanks but I am not positive.

Guppy, ok thanks , and yes HUKIT does thats where I stole the idea from :) getting ready to build a 55g Mbuna tank using the Tahitian Sand

I am using the Flourite Black Sand/Floramax mix and it looks sweet.

This is the mix....Excuse the look of the tank as I am still moving stuff around and need to plant it...It's a work in progress(which hopefully doesn't suddenly break open lol)

imag0634.jpg

At first I had it layered with the FLoramax on the bottom, with sand on top, but after my tank exploded and I had to take it all out it got mixed. It turned out to look really good though mixed together.

The floramax is mainly black, but has some reddish/orange to dark brown pieces mixed in. The sand is fine, but does not get stirred up that easily and settles quickly.

And the plants seem to lover the stuff. I had roots all over the place in a week.

Last edited:
I like the sand, but also I missed any thread about the tank break. Did it just burst or did you hit it with a rock/decor?

Back
Top Bottom