Blackbeard ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxiwilliams

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi guys,
ive come back from being on a week holiday to find Blackbeard on my amazon sword :-( I believe it's due to my dad over feeding during my absence! what is the best way to get rid of it?!?!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

If you dose with Excel put it in a syringe or pipette and aim the Excel directly across the BBA. Turning off the filter/power head before doing it helps otherwise the Excel is washed away from the BBA. A couple of minutes should be fine and then turn them back on. The BBA will turn red within 24 hrs if you've hit it accurately and then dissolve over the next few days. Keep this up, hitting those areas missed until it's gone.
I have a heavily planted tank and have increased the dose to double and do this daily and the BBA and also hair algae have not reappeared.

Excel is good to use as pointed out but doesnt always kill BBA

Hydrogen peroxide 3% or 6% solution is far more effective.

Turn off all filters and water circulation for at least 20minutes. Use a pipette to squirt the peroxide directly onto the algae. It should turn red as previously mentioned. You want the peroxide in contact with the algae as long as possible really. I would use a dose of 1ml peroxide per gallon of tank water to begin with but i think 1ml per gallon is ok.

You really want to be trying to find the reason as to why your getting this type of algae though as well as treatment.

BBA is normally caused by a lack of a co2 source. Do you dose a liquid co2?? DIY co2?? Or pressurised at all??

I would use a dose of 1ml peroxide per gallon of tank water to begin with but i think 1ml per gallon is ok.

Don't intend to hijack, but this I've always found confusing. 1ml per gallon would imply that if I have a 75g tank, that would be 75ml of glut/excel, right? If yes, then supposing I have say an area of 1inch that needs to be spayed with the peroxide/glut, would I spot treat 75ml on that 1 inch area?

Don't intend to hijack, but this I've always found confusing. 1ml per gallon would imply that if I have a 75g tank, that would be 75ml of glut/excel, right? If yes, then supposing I have say an area of 1inch that needs to be spayed with the peroxide/glut, would I spot treat 75ml on that 1 inch area?

No i think common sense would prevail. After maybe 5ml you'd see that the algae would of turned red and then you could move onto the next area.

The dosage is there really to protect the fish and shrimp if you have them.

The peroxide will diffuse into the surrounding water safely but too much may have an ill effect on the fish.

You've only got to see what effects peroxide has on hair and teeth to see that it may potentially affect fish

Back
Top Bottom