Blackout during plant transfer...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lonewolfblue

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was thinking of ways to transfer plants from one tank to another without moving the algae as well. So here's what I came up with...

Remove the plant and rinse off.
Put plant in a zip-lock bag with some tank water, or in a moist newspaper.
Put plant in a place completely dark for 3 days.
Take plant back out, rinse off again and place in new tank.

Think this would work? I know it's hard on the plants, but I think if you can do a blackout on a tank, you should be able to do it on individual plants as well. Also, if shipping plants, sometimes their sealed in a box as well, and if it's 2-3 day shipping, would be the same thing. By the time it reaches the other end, the algae should be dead, correct?

Just something I was thinking about and would like to hear what others think about this.

Algae can survive quite a lot, so no guarantees....I would think that a bleach solution dip would work as well, with less time and work.

I've done the bleach dip, and almost none of the plants survived. I did a 10:1 solution, and dipped the plant for 3 minutes, not including the roots. Then I rinsed the plant off well, and then soaked in a 5x Prime solution to remove any excess bleach. Just trying to find a way in which I would lose less plants during the process.

but the bleach can be alot more harsh than a little lack of light. unfortunatly algae is very unpredictable. sometimes u can go away for a few hours and come back to a mess and other times it takes days to form. it is worth a try. i know for a fact that some plants can last for up to 9 days(bad shipping experience) and still be fine and healthy. i suggest wrapping them in wet paper towel throwing them in a plastic bag and giving it a shot. worst case senario u loose an algae covered plant.

Back
Top Bottom