Blackout, round 2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

severum mama

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, it's been 5 and 1/2 days since I started the blackout in my 20 gallon, so a minute ago I took off the comforter and did about a 75% pwc. The blackout killed a lot of the cyanobacteria, but not all of it. There's still some growing on my lace rock that I can't scrape or suck off. Someone mentioned in my other blackout post that I may need to do this more than once to get rid of it, and I think that I do. My question is, should I start the next round tonight after my fish eat for the first time in 5 days, or should I wait a couple of days or something? TIA :)

i did the same in my tank and it was 4 days and all gone that i could see but now it was somewhat back again but i removed the small spots

I've only been able to permanently get rid of cyano by using erythromycin, commercially available at a lfs as maracyn. It's gotten to the point where I pop the pills in at first sight of cyano, and it's gone until the next time I start up a tank.

I've only been able to permanently get rid of cyano by using erythromycin, commercially available at a lfs as maracyn. It's gotten to the point where I pop the pills in at first sight of cyano, and it's gone until the next time I start up a tank.

I'd thought about that, but would rather use Maracyn as a last resort. I treated a different tank for cyano with Maracyn a while back, and went through a mini cycle as a result, and then the cyano came back anyway after a while. I've never heard the powerhead idea before, but unfortunately I am flat broke until payday next week. Could I just try another blackout? Would it be ok to start tonight before much more of it grows back?

Should be fine to start tonight. This fish will only hate you a little bit. ;)

FWIW, I had a major cyano problem in my sw tank. I did a 50% water change and increased the flow with another powerhead, and I haven't seen it since. Cyano thrives in low flow areas, so you may consider that to prevent another comeback.

Antibiotics to treat cyano should be used as a last resort. From what I've read from others, its a temporary fix only. Unless you fix the conditions causing the cyano, it'll just come back.

Best of luck.

igongora said:
looks interesting, but I what is a black out?

A black out is simply blacking out a tank, usually with a dark material, and starving the algae of light. With no light to grow, algae, or in this case photosynthetic bacteria, will die off. It's an easy way to rid a tank of algae (most of the time) without adding chemicals or fish.

Yes, blacking out will work with green water. And yes, you can do it w/ fish in the tank. To do it properly, cover the tank w/ a thick blanket or similar. Leave it there for 4-5 days. Don't peek or feed the fish. Do a 50% water change before, and right after the blackout.

The fish will be fine. :)

Back
Top Bottom