Blazey's 10gall Planted Journal Log *updated 12/29/06*

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blazeyreef

Aquarium Advice Addict
well since i have not basicly started-over my 10gall...I desided to do a journal log.... I mean...I have now even changed my subtrate to quarts gravel (like it a lot better)
Specs
Doseing Flourish

Aponogeton (sp?) Crispus
Red ludwigia peruensis (sp?)
4x neon tetra
2x otto

Before (right after the new subtrate was added)
img_743939_0_8e0b714736ef649321208557b5f3cd3f.jpg

After (after I added the plants)
img_743939_1_6c67cecbb9ba889562cc218a09e1a9f5.jpg

* I still need a LOT more plants LOL *

Looks like you may have more than you need, but I am not convinced that there is such a thing as "too much", in terms of a quantity that would become unhealthy for your aquarium. How deep do you figure the substrate in a FW river is? :)

I dont think you have too much gravel. It looks really nice and I think it would make it easier to plant stems, or at least they would hold better.

As for gravel depth in nature...it depends on the river, and what part of the river you are at where the only constant is change!

The gravel in the FW River near my house is quite deep. I dug my substrate directly from the bank during low water last fall, we scraped off the top 4 inches just to get down the the more gravel layer which was about 6 inches deep then there was even deeper layer of course sand....then finer sand under that...then clay under that....I would say the gravel/sand layer was at least 12 inches, maybe more. :) It made for a very nice natural subtrate with sand and gravel of varying dimensions. The plants seem to love it! :) I wish I had made mine deeper. :)

I really like the look of your quarts gravel. It is really beautiful. :) And your placement is great on what you have in there too at least it looks good to me, I am not expert but I love to see all the different tanks on here, the possibilities are endless! :)

Your post makes me want to beg harder for a second tank...lol. Perhaps a planned space in my kitchen remodel next year! ;)

Yes, that is a lot of gravel but not so much that you cannot be creative with it. You can create some depth perception by creating some hills and valleys and having the appropriate sized plants situated throughout the landscape.

You will definitely need some malaysian trumpet snails to stir up your substrate to avoid those beastly anaerobic gas pockets.

Looks good so far...just need some tall background plants (y)

Jchillin said:
Yes, that is a lot of gravel but not so much that you cannot be creative with it. You can create some depth perception by creating some hills and valleys and having the appropriate sized plants situated throughout the landscape.

You will definitely need some malaysian trumpet snails to stir up your substrate to avoid those beastly anaerobic gas pockets.

Looks good so far...just need some tall background plants (y)
thanks! Im still trying to get my hand on some plants :D and I dont know where to get a malaysian trumpet snail....my LFS's dont carry them ( or at least not that I have ever seen)
thanks for the Idea... I will see what I can do :D

Jchillin said:
blazeyreef said:
and I dont know where to get a malaysian trumpet snail..

Sure you do...a simple request in the Barter/Trade forum will produce some results I'm sure. Just gotta be careful at this time of year with the temps.
:D true, but its COLD here...

*Update*
December/ 13/ 06

well I have added a few bulb plants (just for now) to help keep the algea down untill I can get some more plants :D

img_746002_0_9eaa9e9cc994e70a0bea2055b4146e04.jpg

img_746002_1_0e14d72239477aee223eaea38328c17d.jpg

and my new best freind
img_746002_2_53a1d86b00f3c4c8546f72b12d4932e5.jpg

*update*
12/15/06

Got some rotala wallichii today and it looks relaly nice! my other plants are filling in..and I also got some wysteria from onah! my aponageton (sp) is sprouting flowers as well!

updated pic
img_746784_0_567f34365a7baec8e8b402be67d442d5.jpg

Looking good. You have a closer shot of the R. wallichii? Is it the plants that are to the right of the plants in the left corner? How wide is the plant stem with leaves? In the pic, it looks wider, like red foxtail. But a closer shot will help clear them up.

FWIW, all of these guys are thriving in my FW tank with no addition of salt...

:)

Bigger pictures! Uhmmm, that's really it. Well and more plants, but I think what you have should fill in pretty nicely. Oh, and you could try and hide the tubing you have there...

Back
Top Bottom