Bloom'in Algae Bloom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WhiteCloud

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just had the worst algae bloom I have ever seen in my 90g Freshwater lightly planted (8 plants) tank. Pea Soup-like as you could not see the background through the water

After reading some responses....I did the following:

1. Cut Down lights (was running at 260 watts (3 watts per gallon) 16 hours a day...now just doing 130watts (1.5 Watts per gallon) for 2-4 hrs a day (if that)...until I have this under control
2. Light feedings every other day (as no food would hit the gravel)
3. Every other day 20% water changes
4. After doing this for 2 weeks...with no change....I got a System 1 Diatom Filter with DE

I ran it for only 4 hours on Wednesday night...and when it was done... the water sparkled!!! It was so clear...I have never seen an aquarium that clear before....do I sound excited.....I was

Then...I woke up the next morning and we were back to getting green again...without even any lights on?

Anyone have any ideas?? The Canister Filter had not been cleaned in 4 weeks...so I rinsed out the Bio-Media and sponges, replaced the carbon and floss..and that made no difference.

Perhaps I need to change my handle to "GREENcloud"

Interesting problem. I would have guessed that you need more plants and/or more CO2 except that you said the algae came back without the lights on. Sometimes fighting algae can be done by get conditions good enough for the plants that they will out-compete the algae. But this can be expensive and a lot of work.

Is the diatom filter not designed to run continuously? And I assume you have already checked your water parameters.

Sorry I'm not more help.

Back
Top Bottom