Blue crayfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Petro88

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can you remove the claws on a blue crayfish to make him safe for a community planted tank?

No! Why would you even want to? Either set up a compatible tank or don't get it. I really don't get why you would want to "take its claws off" it is cruel for 1, 2 it would probably starve to death as they use them to eat. Do you really think that is a good way to treat any living thing

It was an impulse buy from my lfs. He was in a plant tank and only $5.99. How could I resist. Not till I came home and did some investigating did I realize I'm made a mistake. People boil them alive, and when Florida stone crab is harvested the claw is removed and the crab put back.

Well I would return it, and I wouldn't be pulling the claws off anything.

How bout boiling em?

Attachments

• image-3156102886.jpg
    image-3156102886.jpg
    159.4 KB · Views: 73
I'm with shane, this post is cruel. Boiling anything will harm it!!!

I'm j/k I'm plannig on returning him or giving him to anyone who wants him

Good that's the best thing to do and I know it's hard not to sometimes but that's what happens when you impulse buy.

You can eat them. Your supposed to knock them out first by putting them in an ice slurry for half an hour. Then boil them. That one looks rather small to eat though.

If you pull the claws off they will just grow back anyways.

No you can't, if they have been in an aquarium the chemicals used make it toxic to humans, most water conditioners defenatly are they even have it on the bottle.

I would personally never eat a fish, wether it be farmed or wild caught or an aquarium fish. You just don't know what's in their system. But thats me

emerald76 said:
I would personally never eat a fish, wether it be farmed or wild caught or an aquarium fish. You just don't know what's in their system. But thats me

I wouldn't consider it any more dangerous than most of the meat, fruit and veg found in a grocery store.

I know that they have to freeze fish used in sushi to kill parasites. Supposedly freshwater fish have more parasites than salt. Cooking destroys them all though and seafood tastes awesome.

Back
Top Bottom