bought some grow from "seed" plants in a package

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Meredith

Aquarium Advice Addict
I forgot the name, got them from walmart. I put them in container with some tank water and put them in my window, after they started to grow (took about a week) I moved them to my tank. Over the space of three to four days they are now growing out of my tank. Does anyone know what kind of plant this is, and should I cut them back?

There are several varietys that grow from the bulbs that walmart sells. It looks like you have some type of Aponogeton. Don't cut the long stems. They will develop little white blossoms. Take a small soft brush and brush across the blossoms to polinate. They will form small plants that will fall off into your tank. I have grown 6 different varietys from these bulbs. Thay also have some that grow red and green Nymphaea, or dwarf lilly. They are very nice.

I di dthe same for my wife in her beta tank they went nutz. I took 2 of em out and she's got 2 kinds growin nutz in there.... she trims it when needed. The Beta LOVES it

I got both the Aponogeton and lillys in one package. You never now what you will get. For the record they are bulbs not seeds. They do go wild. The top of my tank is a tangled mess of stems.

They also have a tendency to go dormant from time to time. Some people take them out, some people leave the bulb in the tank and wait. I find these bulbs to be one of the few little gems that can be had at Walmart!

Yes, especially the aponogeton. I have grown it in 1wpg. The lily for me does better with a little more, but in my high light tank I have to grow it in the shade, so to speak.

My lillys didnt do much with 1wpg. Now at 1.5wpg and they are doing great. Light hasnt made a difference for the aponogetons.
Sprouts from them flowering seem to grow much slower for some reason. Put several in the newer tank and they havent done much. They might be growing the bulb under the gravel first.

oh crap i'm growing these with 4 watts per gallon 8O
i thought that guy was getting big fast and everythhing is purple.
hmmm...
anyone want some aponos???? :lol:
BTW - in thie first pic in the background..... is that hair algae?

oh crap i'm growing these with 4 watts per gallon 8O
i thought that guy was getting big fast and everythhing is purple.
hmmm...
anyone want some aponos???? :lol:
BTW - in thie first pic in the background..... is that hair algae?

well this is encouraging! I just plopped some bulbs from walmart in the other day. I hope mine grow crazy and they maybe I can sell them to my LFS for credit. Ok, probably not, but I can't wait to see my new plants. They've already started spreading some roots.

Don't know if you found out yet, but they are in the fish department, usually in a plastic bag hanging on the wall behind the shelves. Not too easy to spot if you are not looking for them. My Walmarts almost always have them, but there are months and months where I avoid the fish department there so it could be that they are seasonal.

have same plants here put 2 bulbs in 10gal and they grew like mad....good cheap easy plants but blubs dont always grow

okaquarium said:
blubs dont always grow
you can return them to the address in the back. I did and they sent me some bulbs as replacements - got some real good 8-10 bulbs , all of them grew except 1.

Back
Top Bottom