Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 05-22-2011, 12:44 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 347
brackish conditions

My tank is only slightly brackish- 1.005 salinity, does that limit my plant selection...im going to start to turn it brackish soon...so far in the tank i have some micro sword, marble radican sword, Ciliata and some crypt parva....in those low brackish environment of 1.005, would these plants do okay?
__________________

__________________
patola_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 03:54 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 347
i want to add plants, but not if they are just going to die, can most plants survive in that low salinity?
__________________

__________________
patola_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:25 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Philly33's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 468
Go to plantgeek.com for brackish plant suggestions.
__________________
Philly33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:46 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 347
thanks, looking at that list, it looks like the only one that wont work is the radican sword....but does anyone still think it could work? since im not going to full brackish, only to a salinity of 1.005?
__________________
patola_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:52 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mr. Limpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northern California (Marin)
Posts: 4,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by patola_l View Post
thanks, looking at that list, it looks like the only one that wont work is the radican sword....but does anyone still think it could work? since im not going to full brackish, only to a salinity of 1.005?
I have my BW tank heavily planted but the SG is only 1.003 since my GSP are babies and that's what my LFS keeps them at. As I jump it up over time some plants will die off, some will live up to 1.010 from my research. if you're adding plants that aren't coming from a BW tank, you'll want to acclimate them over a couple days too. Plantgeek.net is where I got my selection list too, great site!

Hope that helps.
__________________
Mr. Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 08:55 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 347
yeah, currently my tank is freshwater... im looking at figure 8 puffers....and my fish store sells them as freshwater, so ill need to acclimatize them as well...so i figure this would work nicely since it will allow the plants to acclimatize as well. i think most of my plants SHOULD be okay. we shall see.
__________________
patola_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:05 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mr. Limpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northern California (Marin)
Posts: 4,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by patola_l View Post
yeah, currently my tank is freshwater... im looking at figure 8 puffers....and my fish store sells them as freshwater, so ill need to acclimatize them as well...so i figure this would work nicely since it will allow the plants to acclimatize as well. i think most of my plants SHOULD be okay. we shall see.
That's the best way to do it IMO. I have a 29g and was told 2 tbsp per day for a couple weeks till I hit my SG mark for proper acclimation and it worked perfect. My banana plant is shooting lily pad leaves to the top of the water and is one plant I'd highly recommend (Java fern/moss too) since it's doing so well.
__________________
Mr. Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:17 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 347
okay, sounds good, reading more about F8P..it looks like 1.003 salinity works as well, so i think ill work my way up to that slowly, all my plants should be okay at that salinity and if not i can try them in a different tank.. Thanks for the help! any other suggestions or advice?
__________________
patola_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:39 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mr. Limpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northern California (Marin)
Posts: 4,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by patola_l View Post
okay, sounds good, reading more about F8P..it looks like 1.003 salinity works as well, so i think ill work my way up to that slowly, all my plants should be okay at that salinity and if not i can try them in a different tank.. Thanks for the help! any other suggestions or advice?
I started my cycle in FW till it was 75% complete, then started salting to BW slowly. Keep in mind that the bacteria needs to acclimate to BW too(convert/change? not sure lol) and I use Instant Ocean, even though some say aquarium salt is just fine.

Here's my thread if that helps any, since I tried to document major points/issues.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...re-147269.html

Good luck!
__________________
Mr. Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 09:54 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 347
yeah i know, im going to add the fish when its fully cycled in freshwater...the reason being is that, im not totally sure when the cycle will be done, so i want them to be in freshwater first, since thats what they live at at the LFS...then it wont be a big transition to go from freshwater at the store to any salt in the tank at home...then when i add them ill begin the slow transition to a low brackish environment.
__________________
patola_l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 10:10 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Mr. Limpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Northern California (Marin)
Posts: 4,505
Quote:
Originally Posted by patola_l View Post
yeah i know, im going to add the fish when its fully cycled in freshwater...the reason being is that, im not totally sure when the cycle will be done, so i want them to be in freshwater first, since thats what they live at at the LFS...then it wont be a big transition to go from freshwater at the store to any salt in the tank at home...then when i add them ill begin the slow transition to a low brackish environment.
That makes sense. My LFS keep their GSP stock in 1.003, I matched it perfectly and so far, so good (24hrs in tank).
__________________

__________________
Mr. Limpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
brackish, condition

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brackish Conditions Viperboy Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion 6 04-30-2006 06:05 PM
What conditions do xenias like? 30_gallon_guy Saltwater Reef Aquaria 5 04-21-2005 12:52 AM
How do my water conditions appear??? flames9 Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started 15 04-20-2005 10:34 AM
Cycle conditions: what to/not to do dansemacabre Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 5 03-24-2004 08:13 AM
Water Conditions ercfish Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started 2 08-23-2003 08:25 PM







» Photo Contest Winners







All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.