brackish conditions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patola_l

Aquarium Advice Freak
My tank is only slightly brackish- 1.005 salinity, does that limit my plant selection...im going to start to turn it brackish soon...so far in the tank i have some micro sword, marble radican sword, Ciliata and some crypt parva....in those low brackish environment of 1.005, would these plants do okay?

i want to add plants, but not if they are just going to die, can most plants survive in that low salinity?

thanks, looking at that list, it looks like the only one that wont work is the radican sword....but does anyone still think it could work? since im not going to full brackish, only to a salinity of 1.005?

thanks, looking at that list, it looks like the only one that wont work is the radican sword....but does anyone still think it could work? since im not going to full brackish, only to a salinity of 1.005?

I have my BW tank heavily planted but the SG is only 1.003 since my GSP are babies and that's what my LFS keeps them at. As I jump it up over time some plants will die off, some will live up to 1.010 from my research. if you're adding plants that aren't coming from a BW tank, you'll want to acclimate them over a couple days too. Plantgeek.net is where I got my selection list too, great site!

Hope that helps.

yeah, currently my tank is freshwater... im looking at figure 8 puffers....and my fish store sells them as freshwater, so ill need to acclimatize them as well...so i figure this would work nicely since it will allow the plants to acclimatize as well. i think most of my plants SHOULD be okay. we shall see.

yeah, currently my tank is freshwater... im looking at figure 8 puffers....and my fish store sells them as freshwater, so ill need to acclimatize them as well...so i figure this would work nicely since it will allow the plants to acclimatize as well. i think most of my plants SHOULD be okay. we shall see.

That's the best way to do it IMO. I have a 29g and was told 2 tbsp per day for a couple weeks till I hit my SG mark for proper acclimation and it worked perfect. My banana plant is shooting lily pad leaves to the top of the water and is one plant I'd highly recommend (Java fern/moss too) since it's doing so well.

okay, sounds good, reading more about F8P..it looks like 1.003 salinity works as well, so i think ill work my way up to that slowly, all my plants should be okay at that salinity and if not i can try them in a different tank.. Thanks for the help! any other suggestions or advice?

okay, sounds good, reading more about F8P..it looks like 1.003 salinity works as well, so i think ill work my way up to that slowly, all my plants should be okay at that salinity and if not i can try them in a different tank.. Thanks for the help! any other suggestions or advice?

I started my cycle in FW till it was 75% complete, then started salting to BW slowly. Keep in mind that the bacteria needs to acclimate to BW too(convert/change? not sure lol) and I use Instant Ocean, even though some say aquarium salt is just fine.

Here's my thread if that helps any, since I tried to document major points/issues.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f70/new-tank-build-29-gallon-gsp-adventure-147269.html

Good luck!

yeah i know, im going to add the fish when its fully cycled in freshwater...the reason being is that, im not totally sure when the cycle will be done, so i want them to be in freshwater first, since thats what they live at at the LFS...then it wont be a big transition to go from freshwater at the store to any salt in the tank at home...then when i add them ill begin the slow transition to a low brackish environment.

yeah i know, im going to add the fish when its fully cycled in freshwater...the reason being is that, im not totally sure when the cycle will be done, so i want them to be in freshwater first, since thats what they live at at the LFS...then it wont be a big transition to go from freshwater at the store to any salt in the tank at home...then when i add them ill begin the slow transition to a low brackish environment.

That makes sense. My LFS keep their GSP stock in 1.003, I matched it perfectly and so far, so good (24hrs in tank).

Back
Top Bottom