Brazilian Pennywort Keeps Dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RightTurnClyde

Aquarium Advice Freak
I got a bunch of 8 Brazilian Pennywort stems from my LFS (freshly ordered and delivered) about 4 weeks ago. Ever since I put it in my tank, they've been gradually melting (disintegrating really) from the bottom of the stem up. Will it help if I snip off the dead stuff on the bottom as soon as I notice it? I got this because I thought it was a fast growing, tall plant. I don't see how it's ever going to get tall if I keep cutting the lower stems off. :confused: I'm down to only 4 stems now. All the other plants in my tank are doing OK. Any ideas?

Specs: Low tech/ low light 29 gallon with Anubias, Java Fern, Java Moss, Anacharis, Water Sprite, Dwarf Sag, and the Pennywort.

Two things are happening. First, it's almost certainly emersed growth, which means some dieoff is inevitable. Second, it probably needs more light. I've tried to keep brazilian pennywort in lower light and it usually struggles if it makes it at all, long term. And yes you can snip off the dead parts, they aren't going to get any better.

Two things are happening. First, it's almost certainly emersed growth, which means some dieoff is inevitable. Second, it probably needs more light. I've tried to keep brazilian pennywort in lower light and it usually struggles if it makes it at all, long term. And yes you can snip off the dead parts, they aren't going to get any better.

+1 about the lights, I have bright lights and I have to cut like 3-6 inches off regularly to keep it from growing out if the tank! Also if the stems are stuck into the substrate that will make them rot, happened to me to. Keep them out if substrate

I've not had that issue with burying them but I can tell you that they can grow roots all along their stem at intervals, just like other stem plants do. They do this a lot when I have them growing above water outside since they are laying more flat.

So they can only survive as floating plants? That doesn't seem right.

No, what I meant by that was I weigh down the bottom with a plant wrap and place it where I want. The end if the plant just rests on the gravel, not in it. I've had the plant actually grow from that end as well as the top.

No, what I meant by that was I weigh down the bottom with a plant wrap and place it where I want. The end if the plant just rests on the gravel, not in it. I've had the plant actually grow from that end as well as the top.

Oh, I see. Thanks for clarifying. Maybe I'll try something like that since they keep coming loose from the sand and float anyway.

Back
Top Bottom