Brenna's 20 gallon planted tank build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brennae

Aquarium Advice Addict
Bought the tank stand and some equipment off Craigslist for only $25!

I used Eco-complete that I could not find for sale anywhere near me so I ordered it off Amazon.
Aquaclear 30 filter
Aquatop 100 watt heater (first time I am using this brand)
Marineland hidden blue and white LED 21 inch
Zoomed Aquasun dual T5 HO 30 inch with Ultra Sun and Flora Sun bulbs

Plants are to the best of my knowledge:
2 Banana plants
1 Amazon sword labeled as "Bleheri" (feedback here appreciated)
4 Anubias
3 Crypts
Various bulbs that came in a package (lily, onion, apongeton) - these are subject to being moved
I did buy some Water Wisteria but when I took it out of the tube it wasn't doing so well and it is floating around the tank- we'll see what happens there.

So far I have only added Flourish Root Tabs.
I will add ferts tomorrow and take readings.

I am doing a fish-in cycle with a Betta that I got from someone who no longer wanted him and he was in a little bowl. I figure the fish-in cycle can't be any worse that being in a liter or 2 of water with no heat or filtration.

I added Tetra Safestart that was kept refridgerated but who knows yet if it will help. I am prepared for big water changes as needed, again will check levels tomorrow. Ran out of steam tonight!

Attachments

• IMG-20130104-00559.jpg
    IMG-20130104-00559.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG-20130105-00560.jpg
    IMG-20130105-00560.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG-20130105-00561.jpg
    IMG-20130105-00561.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 105
update

I added more plants and Herschal the blue Betta. Here is my updated tank.

Attachments

• IMG-20130119-00570.jpg
    IMG-20130119-00570.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG-20130119-00572.jpg
    IMG-20130119-00572.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 74
So I have a question for you plant experts. Do I need to dose Potassium, Nitrogen and Phosphorus in addition to root tabs and Flourish and Flourish Excel?

It will benefit the plants. If you haven't bought them yet I would actually suggest looking into dry ferts. They will only run $20 for a package of all the micro and macro ferts you need and they will last well over a year. Also you can buy glutaraldehyde for $27 and make 2-1/2 gallons of it to get the same strength as Excel at a fraction of the price.

It will benefit the plants. If you haven't bought them yet I would actually suggest looking into dry ferts. They will only run $20 for a package of all the micro and macro ferts you need and they will last well over a year. Also you can buy glutaraldehyde for $27 and make 2-1/2 gallons of it to get the same strength as Excel at a fraction of the price.

Would you have any more info on dry ferts? Not meaning to hijack. Sorry if I offend

Would you have any more info on dry ferts? Not meaning to hijack. Sorry if I offend

Here is a link to the micro/macro fert package needed... Micro & Macro | Aquarium Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums

Here is the link to the dosing bottles that make dosing so simple. You need 3, one for the nitrates, one for the phosphates and potassium, and one for the micro's... Fertilizer Dispenser | 1000 mL (32 oz) | Green Leaf Aquariums

Here's a link to a thread that gives the amounts of each fert you need to add and how to mix and dose PPS-Pro. Only read the openning post not all the comment posts afterwards... Newbie Guide to PPS-Pro - PPS Analysis and Feedback - Aquatic Plant Central

Thanks! I wish I had a better piece of driftwood for the center but with the piece I do have I was able to attach anbias to it.

It looks great! I dose PPS-Pro as well as Rivercats and she has helped me SO much with my tank and questions :) She's like the planted tank queen :lol:

I second Dan!!! I also have started the pps-pro with rivercats help and my tank is starting to go nuts! I'm having to replace fast growers with slow growing plants so I don't have to trim every day.

Last edited:
I second Dan!!! I also have started the pps-pro with rivercats help and my tank is starting to nuts! I'm have to replace fast growers with slow growing plants so I don't have to trim every day.

Lol! Yeah I get as much growth in a day with all these root tabs and PPS-Pro that she has helped with than I used to get in a week! I am constantly trimming! My amano shrimp also seem to come out more...dont know why...but I guess everyone loves a healthy tank :)

Back
Top Bottom