Brian's ADA 60P (17g) Rimless - Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, I'll leave it for now and see how everything looks more grown out and trimmed into shape.

Thanks guys.

Looking good! Yeah, amanos might do the trick with that moss (though they might not like being directly under that light). It's almost as if your trip overseas never happened :)
Are you going to get another EBR?

Thanks, Max! Yeah it does almost look the same. For that reason, I almost can't wait for a rescape. Do you think RCS are as hardy as Amanos? I have some in my nano tank multiplying, but I'd hate to send them to their death in this tank. This tank is hard tap water and high TDS, while the painted fire reds are in RO water.

I'd love another EBR, I just think after my last experience that they're too touchy and pricey. I want something that's hardy if it means I'll have to spend that much again on a fish. If anything, maybe an apistogramma agassizii.

Thanks, Max! Yeah it does almost look the same. For that reason, I almost can't wait for a rescape. Do you think RCS are as hardy as Amanos? I have some in my nano tank multiplying, but I'd hate to send them to their death in this tank. This tank is hard tap water and high TDS, while the painted fire reds are in RO water.

I'd love another EBR, I just think after my last experience that they're too touchy and pricey. I want something that's hardy if it means I'll have to spend that much again on a fish. If anything, maybe an apistogramma agassizii.

The RCS I have had have always been hardy- I rarely ever have any die. People say that they don't do well with co2, though I've never tried it myself. It sounds mean, but maybe put some of the culls/ugly ones in there and see how they do :lol: The fish might eat them, I'm not sure.

If you want a hardy dwarf cichlid, Apisto cacatuoides are super easy to keep. I have mentioned these to you already, but just thought I would suggest them again. The triple fire ones look awesome.

I'll try the shrimp later then. The ugly ones will be the Ginnie pigs. I'll just try a long drip acclimation. I don't think the tetras will mess with them. I am concerned about the betta though.

I actually bought 3 juvenile apisto cacatuoides earlier this year. A LFS advertised them for like $5 a pop. I was like, dang that's cheap! So I bought them. They didn't even last a week. I guess they were cheap for a reason. Bad genes, weak stock, I dunno. They looked okay at first. Left a bad taste in my mouth. On the flip side, I had an apisto agassizi once and it lasted a good long while. I like how it was small and slender with a good amount of iridescent markings around his face.

I'll try the shrimp later then. The ugly ones will be the Ginnie pigs. I'll just try a long drip acclimation. I don't think the tetras will mess with them. I am concerned about the betta though.

I actually bought 3 juvenile apisto cacatuoides earlier this year. A LFS advertised them for like $5 a pop. I was like, dang that's cheap! So I bought them. They didn't even last a week. I guess they were cheap for a reason. Bad genes, weak stock, I dunno. They looked okay at first. Left a bad taste in my mouth. On the flip side, I had an apisto agassizi once and it lasted a good long while. I like how it was small and slender with a good amount of iridescent markings around his face.

Hmmm, that does sound like weak/bad stock/genes. The ones I got from aquabid did great. Yeah, I like their slender bodies and jagged fins.

My amanos hate the bright light, before when I had a t5no they'd be out all the time mowing down bba and anything else they could find. They were extraordinary cleaners. The finnex drove them into the caves never to be seen again.. they only come out once a month and swim like nut balls all over the tank, molt and hide again. Sad, really.. i vote you give the apistos another chance too:)
Edit - pm sent, Important sat business..
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Last edited:
The tank looks awesome! I skipped back a few pages and saw the video. The video is pure bliss. The timelapse towards the ned was pretty cool. Did you use a gopro to film it?

Thanks, puckhog! The video was a combination of the Samsung nx300 + Sony actioncam hdr-as15 (similar to gopro but much cheaper).

Yeah the sony ActonCam has a 120° and 170° ultra wide angle fisheye option. This gives me an idea. I think my next video will feature an "in the perspective of my fish" segment. It's waterproof so I think it's going for a diving expedition soon ;)

That will be sick. What you could do is tie it to a float at whatever depth you want and let it go with the current. May get stuck on something thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Your a member of tpt right? Im making an account and it has a form to write refferals names on it. Thought you might get kudos or something. I can put it in if you like. Just need to know what it is

I have no idea what that does. But feel free to add me on TPT. User name is: Brian_Cali77

You might win a prize, i did as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Following I'm going to try to read through this whole build already I ways in and there's a lot of really good information

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom