Brian's ADA 60p - Revival v3 Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks.. Watching to see if this stuff works is like watching paint dry. But after re-reading the numerous Amazon reviews from "verified purchases" coupled with what I seen in forums and YouTube, looks like following instructions and "patience" is key. I "think" I see a reduction in BGA... If not tremendous change by the weekend, I'll give it a PWC and another dose Monday, which would make a week.

So based on Fresh's comment regarding accelerators and weeds, it's interesting what I see when I Google those keywords... I see comments such as (in the context of dandelions), "use a growth accelerator; this will make it grow beyond its ability to support itself, and it's cells will literally burst." Wow, I wonder if this is a similar process and how it specifically targets BGA and not other living organisms? I'm not going to lie, I like the idea of cyanobacteria cells popping!! Lol

I have similar thoughts to this verified purchase review.. No ingredients, oddly calling BGA a stain, etc.... All bizarre. But if it works... Time will tell!

Screenshot_20170928-114616.jpg

Update... While not completely irradiated, I see a noticeable reduction in BGA. Keeping in mind the numerous mixed reviews in terms of dosage and time for Ultralife to work, I appear to fall in the camp of requiring a 2nd dose and week . So for all the "it works" reviews, it's either by day 4 or 5, or week 2 with a second round of dosage.

Here's the updated pics. I see less of BGA and also it not looking as blue/green. More like brown/green now. The sand would be the most noticeable area to observe, but the BGA that was nested in the HC has decreased to a notable degree as well.

Before (top) / After Wk 1 (bottom)

20170930_203053-1158x1158.jpg

20170930_202949-1158x1158.jpg

Is it the light or are the plants a bit more pale - less green than the first pics?

BGA seems to be turning similar if algae is hit with H2O2 - so dying!?

It's a bit more pale, you're right. I've reduced the lighting also and co2 during this process. I figured I'd be wasting co2 with an airstone in the tank going 24/7. I reduced lighting because of the lack of co2 out of fear of giving another form of algae a foothold.

Yup.. There's a huge reduction in BGA, but there's still some small patches on the sand. I wonder if this product is affecting it or the fact I have an airstone in the tank 24/7 as the instructions indicate doing? Like is this snakeoil and the increased O2 is what's killing off the BGA? Lol

Hi Brian.

I always find water changes help with BGA and increased flow/surface agitation. I think you are on to something with the increase in o2. I wouldn’t reduce the ferts or co2 whilst doing this though. If the plants are turning pale then they are malnourished which could lead to decay which could lead to more algae.

Lovely scape by the way.

Hi Caliban,

Thanks for the compliment on the scape.. I'm going to whip it back into shape tonight. I dosed my ferts this morning, removed the airstone, and reactivated the timer on the co2. I don't want to risk a total meltdown. But I think overall, my findings are inclusive of the effectiveness of ultralife. I'm not sure what to attribute the success of the huge reduction of BGA.. But I think I'll just keep the product in case it resurfaces. BTW, I checked your bio and says you're a biochemical engineer, maybe you can unravel the mystery to the undisclosed ingredients behind ultalife? Do you guys have some sort of biochemical analyzer? Lol

No a total meltdown would be more disastrous than any BGA. I have BGA at the moment. It is pretty relentless stuff. It’s much worse than yours but I would say that any signs of BGA no matter how small has the potential to get nasty. I induced mine by experimenting with reduce nutrients and nutrient ratios. As well as reduced co2. Couple that with med/high light and low flow and you end up with an environment that favours algae.

I’m on the road to recovery now but still think I need more co2 (or less surface agitation)

I read you have surface film? This is never a good sign in my opinion. This suggests more water changes. Hopefully you have the skimmer up and running? I reckon BGA contributes heavily to the biofilm.

I’m not a Biochemical Engineer but a Biomedical Engineer which is the fancy term for someone who repairs and maintains a wide variety of medical equipment. Life support, anaesthetics etc. Not a chemist so to speak.

My suspicion would be that the reduction in BGA is down to a combination of things rather than the ultralife alone. Personally, I would always be cautious adding unknown products to the tank as you don’t know how these affect the beneficial microorganisms although I can understand your eagerness to rid the BGA.

The good news is that your tank is still looks fairly well balanced and plants seem ok. Keep them well fed and the water pristine. Ensure co2 is optimal I’m sure you can beat this stuff.

I had it in my 46. I did all of the things above and it went away in its own. After that plants exploded.

IMG_2043.jpg

Last edited:
Cal - Regarding the UltraLife, Brian is taking one for the team (unlike myself as I would have wussed out and nuked the tank with erythromycin). Hoping he works out a non-antibiotic strategy.
To anyone - Are spot treatments with H2O2 effective in conjunction with the suggestions listed in the previous post?

I used the h2o2 for BGA and BBA (lost a few stems but plants ok mainly) but not as part of an overall test.

Guess this ultralife is a nice problem to have - something is working we just don’t know what lol.

Locally this stuff just seems to get put down to new tanks and will go away on its own (er, hopefully...).

Last edited:
No a total meltdown would be more disastrous than any BGA. I have BGA at the moment. It is pretty relentless stuff. It’s much worse than yours but I would say that any signs of BGA no matter how small has the potential to get nasty. I induced mine by experimenting with reduce nutrients and nutrient ratios. As well as reduced co2. Couple that with med/high light and low flow and you end up with an environment that favours algae.

I’m on the road to recovery now but still think I need more co2 (or less surface agitation)

I read you have surface film? This is never a good sign in my opinion. This suggests more water changes. Hopefully you have the skimmer up and running? I reckon BGA contributes heavily to the biofilm.

I’m not a Biochemical Engineer but a Biomedical Engineer which is the fancy term for someone who repairs and maintains a wide variety of medical equipment. Life support, anaesthetics etc. Not a chemist so to speak.

My suspicion would be that the reduction in BGA is down to a combination of things rather than the ultralife alone. Personally, I would always be cautious adding unknown products to the tank as you don’t know how these affect the beneficial microorganisms although I can understand your eagerness to rid the BGA.

The good news is that your tank is still looks fairly well balanced and plants seem ok. Keep them well fed and the water pristine. Ensure co2 is optimal I’m sure you can beat this stuff.

I had it in my 46. I did all of the things above and it went away in its own. After that plants exploded.

View attachment 304248

Not a total meltdown (I exaggerate), but pretty darn close, well the start of it least. I know from experience that things can quickly cascade, like a domino effect, out of control from an imbalance (e.g. GSA on the glass, pale plants, and deficiencies as a precursor). That's why I decided to change things up as of today and restart the ferts, co2, and photoperiod at where I had it.

I tried attacking the BGA with h2o2 prior to deciding to give Ultralife a go. While h2o2 works, to me it seemed like a short fix as the BGA will come right back on a weekly and even spread at that. It was little patches at first, but then I hit the panic button when I started to see some embedded in the HC carpet and fissiden moss. But now I do not see BGA anywhere but small minute patches in the sand and on the stones. So whatever happened, whether it was the product acting as a catalyst to a combination of things, I think it worked to get it under control for now. I just hope that I'm not pulling the plug on the treatment too soon.

Anyways, my bad on mixing your profession. I just quickly glanced and somehow registered that in my brain as what you do. Now I'm going to go on the hunt for a chemist to help analyze the ingredients in this mystery product! And trust me, I wouldn't put something in my tank if there wasn't enough reviews in forums and the product page to indicate that it's safe. So far, all my fish are all accounted for and have great appetites! :)

After the PWC tonight and trim down, I'm going to setup my Eheim Skim 350 again. I just need to DIY some new suction cups on it and that's why it hasn't been up. But due to the airstone being in the tank during this treatment process, I had minimal surface scum to contend with.

BTW, your tank looks great. Do you know how much light intensity you're getting in there (estimated PAR values)?

Last edited:
Cal - Regarding the UltraLife, Brian is taking one for the team (unlike myself as I would have wussed out and nuked the tank with erythromycin). Hoping he works out a non-antibiotic strategy.
To anyone - Are spot treatments with H2O2 effective in conjunction with the suggestions listed in the previous post?

EM has always been effective for me in the past. I know it works well, but thought I'd try something different and if all else fails, there's always EM (again). But honestly, I fear using antibiotics unless absolutely necessary. Who knows, I might inadvertently create a super-bacteria-strain of BGA that's resistant to all antibiotics that will destroy the world! Yikes!! Don't want that pressure on my shoulders! LOL... But I think with the success I've experienced so far, no loss of fish or major plant melt (yet), I think this product is a go and worth further exploration. If I had to put a percentage on the reduction of BGA, if when I started the treatment it was at 100%, it's probably a good 5 to 10% of its peak mass now. Think I'll just nuke what i see with H2O2 and manually remove it with a turkey baster. Lastly, think I'll reduce the max intensity of the lights as well. This is where I wish I have a PAR meter! Trial and error I guess. Anyways, thanks for chiming in, Fresh!

I used the h2o2 for BGA and BBA (lost a few stems but plants ok mainly) but not as part of an overall test.

Guess this ultralife is a nice problem to have - something is working we just don’t know what lol.

Locally this stuff just seems to get put down to new tanks and will go away on its own (er, hopefully...).

Yes! I love seeing BBA turn colors the next day after a good targeted H202 hit! LOL. I think after I dial in the nutrients, co2, and lighting (reduction), I think it'll get back to looking pristine.

Last edited:

Ah I get ya. Looked at some more reviews. Some guy suggested it was unobtainable in the UK which points towards possible antibiotic usage but I found it easily on Amazon no issue so I doubt it.

EM has always been effective for me in the past. I know it works well, but thought I'd try something different and if all else fails, there's always EM (again). But honestly, I fear using antibiotics unless absolutely necessary. Who knows, I might inadvertently create a super-bacteria-strain of BGA that's resistant to all antibiotics that will destroy the world! Yikes!! Don't want that pressure on my shoulders! LOL... But I think with the success I've experienced so far, no loss of fish or major plant melt (yet), I think this product is a go and worth further exploration. If I had to put a percentage on the reduction of BGA, if when I started the treatment it was at 100%, it's probably a good 5 to 10% of its peak mass now. Think I'll just nuke what i see with H2O2 and manually remove it with a turkey baster. Lastly, think I'll reduce the max intensity of the lights as well. This is where I wish I have a PAR meter! Trial and error I guess. Anyways, thanks for chiming in, Fresh!

Yes! I love seeing BBA turn colors the next day after a good targeted H202 hit! LOL. I think after I dial in the nutrients, co2, and lighting (reduction), I think it'll get back to looking pristine.

Definately of interest here as EM is not sold over the counter.

Back
Top Bottom