Brian's GLA 6g Rimless V.2 - Rescape Journal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brian_Nano12g

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello Ladies & Gents... It's been a long journey with this GLA 6g Rimless tank and with AA. It was my first true high-tech 'rimless' build and I was honored by the great staff of AA to win a TOTM Award for it. Thank you guys! For that reason, I tried really hard to not tear this tank down. I wanted to keep it living on. But it's time to turn the page and inject some new excitement into this tank (well for me at least)... so on to the next chapter.

The RESCAPE!

Since I've acquired an ADA 60-P for my living room, this GLA tank will sort of take the backseat. I want to try to do something simple and less complicated. I'm planning to limit it to only three species of plants. But with all things, everything is subject to change :brows:

So on with the formalities:

Hardware:
Tank - GLA 6g (15" x 9" x 11") - High Clarity Glass
Light - Finnex FugeRay-R Clip Light
Filter - AC 20

Substrate: ADA Aqua Soil "Africana"
Hardscape: Ohko Stone

Planned Flora:
DHG - E. Parvula
Blyxa Japonica
Lilaeopsis Mauritiana

Planned Fauna:
Scarlet Badis (x2)
Galaxy Rasboras (CPD)
Pygmy Corydoras
Otos

Dosing:
PPS-Pro "Dry Ferts" & Glut Supplementation
CO2 - DIY

And some pictures:
The "blank canvas" if you will (old pic - but will look close to this, minus the Ray 2, before the rescape).
ibfVF0DHbD6SW9.jpg

New light of choice, the Finnex FugeRay-R (stock image) -- RED DIODES! (y)
i0WDb9h4mTM4K.jpg

Took advantage of the ADG sale on the ADA Aqua Soil substrate... I've always wanted to try AFRICANA!
ibseVTzk934Tng.jpg

And here is our bucket of Ohko Stone (lots are used in the GF's ADA 60F, but plenty left for my 6g):
ibewV6sWEEgcZ0.jpg

So I'm thinking with all these grassy like plants, maybe I should call this the "Africana Grasslands!" :blink:

Stay-Tuned... more to come!

Last edited:
Awesome, definitely following! I just love the feeling of doing a new 'scape as it's always pretty invigorating to start something fresh in this hobby! Also very curious to see how the Fugeray-R does as I've been toying with getting one too.

Thanks azmodan! Yeah I REALLY like this light so far. What a difference! I got so used to viewing my tank under a Ray 2, I didn't realize how colors were so muted and washed out. The Fugeray-R is less intense (less PAR) but I think it's perfect for this size tank or smaller. Just the right amount of light. It took some getting used to, I really thought the light look somewhat dim at first (only because I was blinded my the Ray 2....lol). After a day of getting used to viewing my tank under the Fugeray-R...it hit me, reds/oranges just pop!

Man that ohko stone is really going to look great in such a small tank and the African grassy 'scape haha. Just looking at your ADA shallow rimless build is causing me to window shop the web for some of my own!

So following!

Will that DHG carpet well? Like, how much par are you going to get with that light?

Man that ohko stone is really going to look great in such a small tank and the African grassy 'scape haha.
Yes, I really like Ohko. It doesn't affect the kh/gh and adds a lot of character with its prominent texture. The grassy part ...well I thought of the African Serengeti grasslands. Lol

Hopefully it will look good!

Just looking at your ADA shallow rimless build is causing me to window shop the web for some of my own!

You should get one! The shallow tank makes for a challenging yet interesting tank to your collection. I love the ability to utilize emergent growth, too.

Ah, okay. I didn't think it would carpet with 30 PAR. Do you consider that medium light or low or high even?

It's medium light (on the lower end). 30 PAR is enough to even grow a harder plant such as HC. So I'm pretty sure DHG wouldn't be an issue. The blyxa japonica and 'narrow leaf' micro sword can also thrive in these conditions.

Back
Top Bottom