Bright white substrate and algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sicklid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Can algae growth be helped along by a bright white substrate, or conversely, be hindered by a dark grey/brown/black substrate? I am just wondering if anyone has a theory on this... I am thinking you just don't notice it as much on the darker substrate.

one of our tanks has a bright white substrate and i am positive that it raises the light content of the tank by the equivalent of about .5wpg due to reflection.

zenkatydid said:
one of our tanks has a bright white substrate and i am positive that it raises the light content of the tank by the equivalent of about .5wpg due to reflection.

Thats the term I was missing.. Reflection. I think the same thing, but I am not positive... Wouldn't this same reflection be good for the plants as well? I know my algae issues are not due to the substrate choice by any stretch, but I have the sneaking suspicion that the algae likes the added rays...

my opinion is that it does help the plants, yes. i also noticed that when i added a black background to my big tank (instead of the light reflecting off the white wall behind the tank) it got a little darker. environment definitely makes the difference.

On that note, I wonder what would happen if, instead of substrate, I put a mirror on the bottom of my tank. Other than scaring the crap out of the fish, I'll bet it would do wonders for increasing the lighting :) Just a thought. :p

Back
Top Bottom