Broke my diatom on the 4th use!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

7Enigma

Aquarium Advice Addict
:cry:

My Vortex D1 diatom filter was used yesterday for the 4th time, and during cleanup I broke it. I was cleaning it outside on my patio, had just discovered a much better and faster way of cleaning (I have a hose attachment that allows the outflow line to go directly to the nozzle on my hose), I had just finished cleaning and that's when it happened.

The whole time during cleaning I was shaking the D1 holding onto the housing, while letting the hoses hang on the ground to drain. I realized some of the water in the hoses wasn't cleaned, and of course as I reached down to grab the hose, the motor unit fell from about 3 feet onto the concrete. I tried to catch it but missed. Picked it back up (it hadn't gotten wet much), and I noticed that one of the metal clips (there are 4) that hold the top plate that keeps hands out of the turbine had broken off. I looked for it but couldn't find it and at the time didn't really care since I could easily replace it if needed.

I finished cleaning up and went back upstairs and instead of putting it away I decided to quickly plug it in and make sure it was working (again while it sounds like a bad fall it didn't seem to be all that bad when it happened). I plug it in, turn the switch and nothing. A very light humming but the turbine wasn't moving. I unplugged it and using a pair of scissors lightly spun the turbine to make sure it wasn't being jammed on something, but it spun fine.

Tried it again and nothing (same humming sound). So I took the other 3 clips off and took off the top plate. Now I was looking right at the turbine and coils (looked like the back of a submarine). I spun the turbine with my hand and everything seemed fine, except for maybe a slightly give in the side to side motion, but I cannot be sure as I never touched it before this. So very angry at the thought of losing $70 worth of equipment after only using it 4 times I put it on the shelf and let it sit out overnight, hoping that somehow, a bit of water got into the coils and caused a short or something, but I'm doubtful.

The one other thought I had was that somehow the clip that broke off during impact stuck to the magnetic coils inside. I looked all around but didn't see anything, but if it's a strong magnet in there it might have gotten sucked down below where I can see.

I'll give it another shot when I get home, but right now it looks like I'm out of luck.

It worked great on the tank though.... :(

Well that sucks.

Actually I guess the problem is that it doesn't suck anymore... :)

Let it dry out and give it one more try, though sounds like it may be fried. As a last ditch, you could try for a complete disassembly, though that usually doesn't work out well for me.

Here's an assembly diagram that may be helpful: http://www.mops.ca/skus/pa/images/PAVO-D1-Parts_ImageMap.gif

Is that the right model?

Yep, that's the right model. I tried it again last night and it still didn't turn the turbine. Sounded louder though. I'll give it until this afternoon and if still nothing, I think I'll have to start breaking it down and hoping I can figure something out. The luck of it falling during draining the hoses, and it breaking from a minor (IMO) fall just really REALLY ticks me off!

I'm a little confused about what is broken exactly. The assembly diagram isn't quite detailed enough for me (someone who has never seen one of these).

Is the motor the same as a normal pump motor? Impeller (that can be removed) with an induction motor that it is placed into?

No, the turbine does not come out. It is fixed in place somehow (probably a bolt or screw on the bottom side I cannot see without taking it apart).

Well today I did a HUGE removal of most of my plants in the QT/snail tank. I had been putting stargrass and hygro clippings from the main tank in there, and basically the entire tank was taken over by the plants. I spent about 2 hours going through each piece by hand to make sure I didn't throw out any snails or snail eggs.

From doing that I see there was a TON of snail waste that is all over the tank. I really need to get this diatom working if possible. Jragg, can you give any thoughts on if this is possible to fix?

I turn it on and it hums, but doesn't spin. I can freely turn the turbine so there isn't an obstruction. I have zero electrical knowledge but am guessing something is causing the magnet to stop alternating? Trying to remember back to physics, but something about alternating the poles of a magnet will cause the turbine to spin (like a magnetic impeller with the HOB filters).

Help! I really REALLY dont' want to drop another $80!

I don't know much elctronics but this could help. If it is at all possible, try plugging it and then moving the impeller to see if it takes off. It could be jarred just enough that it needs a nudge while wet to take off.

Something else that might have happened is one of the magnets got knocked out of the kilter or came loose from the mounts. You might be able to get the magnet back in the mounts and have it work.

If all else fails, it is too bad, looking at the diagram, that a powerhead couldn't be mounted on the intake to drive the water into the filer. Although it could be an option if I am not seeing something that might allow this modification.

Trust me, after my better judgment, I plugged it in, turned it on, and using my fingers moved the blade back and forth. Not one of my smarter days (3000rpm sharp blades vs. the fingers....hmmmm....whom would win?). There was definitely resistance, like the magnets were fighting me, but no luck. I tried to take it apart today (removed the 3 screws), but it didn't want to come apart from the bag area. I didn't see any other bolts holding it together but I didn't want to just rip it apart (I do that all to often). I'm thinking the magnet being out of place is definitely a probably explanation. I'm going to spend some more time on it maybe tomorrow, but I just broke down and purchased a new one from PetSmart.

This time, however, I splurged the extra 20 bucks and grabbed the XL model. This will be better for a future larger tank, will not be as annoying since LWB (I think) mentioned it has stiffer tubing so it won't collapse itself so readily and slow the flow. PetSmart price was ~$100 with tax (ordered online, free shipping with code "HAPPY").

Oh well, its an early Christmas present for myself, and more importantly my fish. That bottom QT tank looks awful even after the 80% PWC and gravel vac, I feel so bad for my lone barb in there....

I'll post up some picture in a new thread with a side by side comparison of the two and their quality later.

Hopefully I can get this other one to work and maybe give it to a friend/family member and not care how it gets used/abused.

Back
Top Bottom