Brown algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sk3lly

Aquarium Advice Addict
Im looking for advice for a) the cause of brown algae and b) how to get rid of it/prevent it
Any help much appreciated thanks

What type of brown algae are you talking about? Diatoms? The brown algae you get in newly set up tanks? If that is what your talking about diatoms are self limiting and once excess silicates in the water are used up the diatoms go away on their own. Limiting lighting to 6 hours helps keep diatom growth lower. Also IF you don't have any live plants in a tank you can use a Phosphate remover in your filter as it will also absorb excess silicates in your water. Nerite snails love to eat them and can keep a tank pretty clean.

What type of brown algae are you talking about? Diatoms? The brown algae you get in newly set up tanks? If that is what your talking about diatoms are self limiting and once excess silicates in the water are used up the diatoms go away on their own. Limiting lighting to 6 hours helps keep diatom growth lower. Also IF you don't have any live plants in a tank you can use a Phosphate remover in your filter as it will also absorb excess silicates in your water. Nerite snails love to eat them and can keep a tank pretty clean.
Thanks for your reply. I'm completely new to aquariums and fish keeping. My tank is new so may be these diatoms you mentioned. I have live plants and the leaves are covered in this stuff. Will it affect the plants? I will try to limit the light and look into snails. I do like the look of the zebra nerites

If your tank is new then I'm sure that is your problem. Use a timer as it will help a lot and the nerites will keep the rest cleaned off. The can suffocate plants but for now you can rub them off very easily with your fingers ALTHOUGH they will just come right back.

If your tank is new then I'm sure that is your problem. Use a timer as it will help a lot and the nerites will keep the rest cleaned off. The can suffocate plants but for now you can rub them off very easily with your fingers ALTHOUGH they will just come right back.

My only problem with limiting my light source is that i like to look at my tank lol. I will be stricter with my lights. I will get a couple of nerites, and follow your advice. Thanks for your help. Is there anything else i can do or just wait it out?

seachem Phosguard and Purigen in your filter. That stuff is amazing. Will make your tank look crystal clear too.
I bought 2 oto for my aquarium when I had a brown algae problem. They cleared it up in a few days. Now my problem is that ill have to supplement veggies feeding to the oto since they are purely vegetarian (algae eaters).

My only problem with limiting my light source is that i like to look at my tank lol. I will be stricter with my lights. I will get a couple of nerites, and follow your advice. Thanks for your help. Is there anything else i can do or just wait it out?

You do not want to use Phosguard or any phosphate remover since you have a planted tank. In a fish only tank it can be used and will actually absorb excess silicates which are needed for diatoms to reproduce but when you have plants you don't want to remove phosphates from your water as phosphates are a macro nutrient for plants.

Back
Top Bottom