Brown algae!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

whatsgoodm8

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey everyone [emoji4]
I have a 6 gallon shrimp tank that's been set up for over a month and houses a few cherry shrimp. It's started to develop really small amounts of algae (looks like brown algae, there's isn't enough algae for me to be able to tell) on the back glass and on one side glass.
-Sand with Seachem Flourish Tabs
-Heavily planted with swords and cabomba, some java moss too
-Medium plant growth, cabomba grows about 2 inches a week
-No Excel or CO2
-Half dose of Tetra PlantaMin weekly (contains potassium, chelated iron and manganese)
-Low to medium LED lights for 12 hours daily, direct sunlight from balcony
So I'll change from 12 hours of light to 10. As for the direct sunlight, I keep telling my parents to draw the curtains but they don't like to listen. Since there's only shrimp, they eat algae off the plants but not off the glass, there's no fish or snails in the tank that can eat algae off the glass. I think I'll not dose the tetra plantamin for a couple weeks. I clean the front glass everytime I do a water change. I know that some people will think that if it's only on the glass that I can just scrub it off but if I do that without addressing the cause of the algae, I'll just get more algae. So I think that's all I can do. Do you guys think that this will help prevent an algae problem? Any tips?
Thanks in advance.

Hey everyone [emoji4]
I have a 6 gallon shrimp tank that's been set up for over a month and houses a few cherry shrimp. It's started to develop really small amounts of algae (looks like brown algae, there's isn't enough algae for me to be able to tell) on the back glass and on one side glass.
-Sand with Seachem Flourish Tabs
-Heavily planted with swords and cabomba, some java moss too
-Medium plant growth, cabomba grows about 2 inches a week
-No Excel or CO2
-Half dose of Tetra PlantaMin weekly (contains potassium, chelated iron and manganese)
-Low to medium LED lights for 12 hours daily, direct sunlight from balcony
So I'll change from 12 hours of light to 10. As for the direct sunlight, I keep telling my parents to draw the curtains but they don't like to listen. Since there's only shrimp, they eat algae off the plants but not off the glass, there's no fish or snails in the tank that can eat algae off the glass. I think I'll not dose the tetra plantamin for a couple weeks. I clean the front glass everytime I do a water change. I know that some people will think that if it's only on the glass that I can just scrub it off but if I do that without addressing the cause of the algae, I'll just get more algae. So I think that's all I can do. Do you guys think that this will help prevent an algae problem? Any tips?
Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't stop the ferts, they arnt the issue. 10 hours is still a lot, I'd drop it to 8 per day. I get sunlight through a window next to one of my tanks and I get brown dust algae on the glass also. If u can move the tank to somewhere out of the sunlight it would be best. If the tank doesn't get direct sun u should be able to have your lights on for 10 hours. I'd also invest in some excel to help keep the algae away [emoji106]

Back
Top Bottom