brown algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joannde

Aquarium Advice Addict
Tank facts: 29G, 1.5wpg, plants are mostly anubias and java fern but I also have L. Repens and one red rubin sword.

I'm starting to develop an algae on my plants. Right now it looks like tiny round balls in a rusty sort of color (see pic).

I've just completed a round of Maracyn1/Maracyn2. My biofilter was affected in the process and ammonia has been running between 0.5 and 1ppm (for which I've done water changes).

Will the algae go away once the ammonia issues are resolved or is there something else that I need to watch ? I've not dosed any ferts at this point but do have Excel on hand if that will help.

Thanks !

Looks like the beginings of a BAD brush algae infestation. Can you wipe it off easily with out tearing up the leaves?

I haven't tried to wipe it up. I can get to the anubias easily enough but I'm going to have a tough time cleaning it off the L. Repens without tearing it to pieces.

Brush algae - sounds bad - time for google !

Red algae: Also called Black Beard Algae (bba), or Black Brush Algae. Short hairs (1/4" long), closely packed together. Appears dark green, black, or dark red. Grows on plant leaves, and sometimes on decorations/substrate. Often grows all around the edges of plant leaves.
BBA thrives in situations of high phosphates. Phosphates come from fish waste, excess food, and occasionally will be present in the water supply. The best way to eliminate BBA is to let the plants out-compete the algae for the nutrients.

http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_algae.htm

Thanks. Seems to be due to high phosphates and/or low nitrates. My nitrates are 10 - 15ppm, so I'm guessing I have excess phosphates. I do have SeaChem's PhosGurad on hand (its a silicate absorber too - I was going to use it to get rid of the diatoms but they seem to be lowing down). Thoughts on using this ?

LOL I knew you were going to ask that ! Last time I tested they were 1.5 so the ratio is close to the 10:1 but I'll be honest with you - it was VERY difficult to tell the color of that phosphate test (SeaChem) so I could be wrong and it could be higher.
My nitrates are very low right now because of the innumerable water changes due to my half-dead biofilter from the antibiotic treatments.
I noticed some hair algae about a week ago but it doesn't really bug me and the platies seem to like it. I noticed the brown algae yesterday.
I'll run both the phosphate and nitrate tests again in the morning before my next water change but I'll bet my ratio is shot. Assuming it is, do you see any harm in using the PhosGuard ?

*** EDIT***

Its morning and I"ve run the tests. NOT pretty !

Ammonia = 1ppm (time for yet another water change)
Nitrite = trace (probably because no ammonia is being converted !)
Nitrate = 5ppm (which is my tap water)
Phosphate = 2.5ppm

The PhosGuard is hanging in an unused knee hi stocking off the side of the tank.

I have some Spectraside stump remover but don't know if its 100% KNO3. Don't know if I need to dose it anyway.

Any help is appreciated

Due to the frequency of water changes, i would start doseing NO3 in order to keep your phosphates in check. High phosphates cause plants to pull more nitrates, and with out those nitrates from the water changes, the excess phosphates are being utilized by the algae.

I would hit the situation from both ends, use the phosguard, and dose nitrates to 20 ppm

Thanks. I'll give the Spectracide people a call to see if its 100% KNO3. I saw a calculator on dosing somewhere - just have to find that again.

Whatever the algae was it comes right off under running water. I'll try and clean up the rest of the anubias after work today. I dont think I can do the other plants - too delicate.

if it is red brush algae it shouldn't come off so easy... that makes me skeptical of what you got there

Oh GOOD - I need some good news with this tank !!! It really did come off easily - I took it to the sink and rubbed it with my fingers - didn't even have to use my fingernails.

By the way, the Spectracide Stump remover is listed as 100.0% KNO3 on the "Materials Safety Data Sheet" (I called the company and got them to send it to me). Does this mean its safe to use ?

I'm thinking I'll just use the phosguard for now and not add anything else to the tank until its stable again. I'm having enough problems with this (mini)cycle. The plants may suffer a bit without N, but they're likely to rebound later (or am I wrong about that ?).

Actually if you have ammonia in the tank the plants will use that as well as nitrites. If the product is 100% pure KNO3 then you should have no problems using it.

If you keep your NO3 bottomed out like that you may see some BGA (cyano) showing up. It starts slow and then it will run rampant in your tank regardless of your NO3 levels. The stuff is a horrible pain to get rid of.

Since the brown stuff brushed off easily, it's probably diatoms and will go away on it's own in a few weeks. It's pretty common in new tanks.

Yes, I have ammonia - my poor fish ! I'll leave the KNO3 for another time until the ammonia and nitrites also bottom out. Right now I think my goal is STABILITY !

But it IS nice to know that my husbands purchase (stump remover) is going to come in handy for my tank !

Back
Top Bottom