Brown Algae..... ughh

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rippin17

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok so i need some advice on controlling brown algae here. I have a african cichlid tank. I have an all sand substrate and texas holey rock (carved limestone) in it. So this brown algae is killing my theme. The all white really makes my colorful fish stand out!

So i took out all my rocks and boiled them in a bleach solution and then reboiled them in all water. They are not put back in the tank yet tho. I wiped the sides of the tank down to rid myself of this annoying schtuff. I hooked a UV sterilizer up to my powerhead and Im hoping that will take care of it.

I was under the impression that pleco's and algae eaters did not eat brown algae tho. I know my pleco did not touch it. It seems to be turning around though. I now just have a green algae on the back part of the tank that is rough to the touch but my pleco has been working on that. Any advice? Or did i just go about the proper way in riding myself of this ugly brown crap.

My phosphates registered 0
and my ammonia, nitrite and nitrates all measured 0.
My friend said it may of been registering that because the brown algae was feeding off all the nitrates, nitrites and phosphates before they could register or something. He may of been full of crap though.

Anyway, if im going about this the right way let me know. I did water changes and what not in conjuction with this. I just spent too much on the nice white rocks to have them uglified! (know its not a word but it qualifies as one in my book because of the context :p )

how much light is the tank getting? and if its by a window, that very well could be the cause. I live in arizona and my tanks not even by a window, but in the morning sunlight comes thru and somehow shines only on the tank (no where else in the house...just right there lol) but i have to make sure i clean it every water change, or just keep a chinese algae eater. But i'm not sure if they'd work on brown algae...all mine is kinda greenish brown..somewhere in between, but he works on mine.

brown algae isn't algae, its diatoms...tiny microorganizms.

otocinclus will eat it, but your cichlids may stress the ottos.

eventually the silicates feeding your diatoms will be gone, and it'll fade on its own.

but its totally normal in new tanks for up to 6 months.

Back
Top Bottom