Brown algea or plants dieing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Binczaboy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have searched around the forum hoping to find an answer so far nothing yet, but I have recently noticed an odd sort of algae on my plants or my plants may have started dieing I am honestly unsure.
If anyone had ever seen something of this sort any help is appreciated, the picture with the amazon sword shows it best.
The rest of the plants in the tank seem to be doing fine.
I dose excel weekly and have root tabs around my swords. In terms of lighting it's not anything fancy just 2 regular 13 watt daylight cfls. And they get light usually around 6 hours a day since anything more causes an extreme outbreak of green slime algae.
I'm thinking it may be my lights need to be on brighter but wanted to get someone else's opinion before I have to clean off all that algae.

Attachments

• image-2655753724.jpg
    image-2655753724.jpg
    157.8 KB · Views: 92
  • image-2746581360.jpg
    image-2746581360.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 63
I have the same thing on a couple of my leaves too. I've had it for years. I'm just gonna guess that its just basic algae as it will be in every tank. The more you scrape off the leaves, the more "clean" the leaf will look. Just my thoughts and experience.

Well it has just become a bit worse, as it has overtook the majority of my plans. Also it does not scrap off anymore :S in addtion some stems on my hygro and rotala have begun turning quite dark as though they were rotting away. Do u think a blackout period would be more beneficial or harmful for the plants?

Back
Top Bottom