Brown debris in my water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pezzep

Aquarium Advice Freak
My 46g bowfront has this small brown debris floating around in my water, I'm curious as to what it is and how do I get rid of it?

It's a dirted tank with driftwood in it, I doubt it's from the dirt cause my 20g is dirted and it doesn't have the same problem.
img_2982113_0_8b3f73677e9a8976c8253711d6286bec.jpg

is it always present in the water column or is it just right after water change? cuz my water was like that when I finished doing a water change where all the debris in the filter got into the water, but it usually clears on itself within several minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

is it always present in the water column or is it just right after water change? cuz my water was like that when I finished doing a water change where all the debris in the filter got into the water, but it usually clears on itself within several minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It was present yesterday and I do my WC on Wednesday, so it has been pretty well a week and it's still there some days it isn't noticeable others it is.

Just did a water change and it's still in the water, doesn't seem to be harming any fish that have been in there a few months now or my RCS that I've had in there for a couple weeks, still an eye sore tho.

What kind of dirt did you use? Did you top it with sand?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What kind of dirt did you use? Did you top it with sand?

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I used miracle grow organic choice potting mix and I capped with pool filter sand. There is probably half an inch to an inch of dirt and about an inch of sand.

It didn't seem as bad yesterday after my water change, I'm assuming I need to just do more water changes to get rid of it entirely, hopefully.

That being said it would still be nice to know what it is and how it got in there for future tanks.

Did you rinse both of them before adding? If it's a fairly new tank it will definitely go away with several water changes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Did you rinse both of them before adding? If it's a fairly new tank it will definitely go away with several water changes.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I rinsed neither of them before adding, the tanks probably a month and a bit old.

Well I think I figured out what it was. My canister filter was all gunked up gave it a good cleaning. Wasn't expecting it to be so dirty I had only had it set up for like a month maybe. It was so dirty my outflow was barely spitting water outta the spray bar lol. Tanks clear now other than some leaves floating around.

Back
Top Bottom