Brown slimy stuff in tubes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Richardwm

Aquarium Advice Activist
Finally had time to do a full canister clean including pipes tidy as I was cleaning I kept getting this brown slimy mass out off it what could it be of course I didn't take a picture( dummy). But it is kinda concerning me worst day ever see once how my 30 gals co2 solenoid failed nuking my tank ( cry)

All filters and tubes over time (at least for me) always get a brown, slimy, buildup. It wipes out easily and I always chalked it up to a thick biofilm type buildup. Algae can build up in biofilm along with detris and you get brown gunk. I notice it's worse in some tanks than others but also seems to just naturally build up over time. I've never worried about it since it cleans up easily and has never caused problems.

I have seen video on Youtube of filter pipes and filters that were a solid brown mass. On plantedtank.net someone told me you never have to clean this off. :eek: I cannot believe that this does not affect filter flow. It looks bad too. I notice mine is worse in warm weather and has gotten a little worse since I started using dry fertilizer. I clean my filter pipes at least every two weeks. I clean my filters housings about once a month.

Back
Top Bottom