Bubbler in planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rampion

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am a new aquarist with a 10 gallon tank, and have been trying to establish a planted tank for a little while. I somehow didn't read about CO2 until now (yes I've had a terrible time keeping plants alive), and am about to set up the DIY CO2 injector recommended on this forum. I read that increased surface mixing can disrupt the CO2 dissolving. I currently have a bubbler in the tank, and am wondering if I should remove it for this reason.

Your Tank

I am a new aquarist with a 10 gallon tank, and have been trying to establish a planted tank for a little while. I somehow didn't read about CO2 until now (yes I've had a terrible time keeping plants alive), and am about to set up the DIY CO2 injector recommended on this forum. I read that increased surface mixing can disrupt the CO2 dissolving. I currently have a bubbler in the tank, and am wondering if I should remove it for this reason.

Hello Ram...

You don't need an air stone (bubbler). An air stone will create movement on the surface and mix oxygen into the tank water and this allows carbon dioxide to escape. The process is called "gas exchange". Carbon dioxide is a plant nutrient, so you don't want to drive off this nutrient by further agitating the water with an air stone. Your tank will get enough oxygen from the surrounding air and the filtering system will do the job of gas exchange.

B

Back
Top Bottom