Bubbly stem plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

patryuji

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well I have some new stem plants floating right now as I am hoping to have a few roots growing before I shove them into the substrate and I just noticed that one of the stem plants has a stead stream of bubbles coming out the bottom of the stem...no pearling on the leaves but a steady stream of bubbles from the bottom of the stem where I would normally plant it.

As a side question do fish enjoy chewing on the roots? I had some yesterday but today they are gone or shorter on the plants that are floating.

Some fish will love them. But you don't need to wait for roots before sticking them in the substrate. In fact the longer they float some plants will actually grow in such a way that planting isn't feasible. I know water sprite will start to turn all its leaves towards one side and then roots will gorw from the length of the stem.

Yes, plant them now, and they'll respond by putting down roots.

a steady stream of micro bubbles indicates trauma to the plant. it's cell walls are broken, and the oxygen it's producing is leaking out of the 'wound'.

Okay, I thought I had read to float them until roots sprout and then clip off the stem under the roots and plant. (I never did my money wort this way and it grew roots find but wanted to try this other method).

Planting now.

Back
Top Bottom