Bucephalandras!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

azmodan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I had a thread a while ago about being addicted to bucephalandras but I thought I'd start a new one sharing some pictures and personal experience with these beautiful (but expensive) plants. It started with a couple of buces I received in a plant package about 3 years ago and now in 2015 alone I've spent about $900 on buces so far. I do not have collectoritis (I don't even keep very good IDs on most of them) but I do love many things about them, specifically:

1. Their colors -- Whites, pinks, every shade of green, blues (!!), purple, bright reds, grayish tones, silver speckles, browns, and so forth.

2. Their flowers -- Many flower regularly and in my main buce tank I have usually around 2-3 flowering at a time.

3. Their unique leaf structures and types -- Big types (check out Dark Achilles, cascade king, gaja mada, pink lady), small types (super mini catharine, pygmea, arrogant blue mini, lamandau mini purple)... sizes and shapes for days!

4. Their requirements -- Pressurized CO2 definitely helps with growth and color (and algae prevention) but is certainly not required. Low tech friendly (just watch out for algae growth as they are not fast growers, much like anubias)!

5. Their versatility -- The sheer variety of them allow for some incredible 'scaping possibilities, particularly in Nature-Style aquariums.

Things I do not like about them:

1. Their cost -- Expect to pay $5-$10 for small plantlets and $10-$30 for older specimens. Some of the rarer types easily go for $100+, or if you're looking for larger clumps.

Here are some informative resources for those new to buces:

Bucephalandra - all in one - Plant Physiology & Emersed Culture - Aquatic Plant Central

Lets Talk Bucephalandra

Bucephalandra Blog

Bucephalandra Species | Bucephalandra

Here are a few recent pics of a handful of the types I own. I think I have roughly about 20 different types although recently I've been selling the ones I don't need as I try to accumulate larger quantities of my just my personal favorites. Anyone else with buces in their collection please feel free to post pictures too! I'll do my best to update this thread with more pics as time goes by too.

buce sp. lamandau 'mini purple'

buce sp. arrogant blue 'mini'

buce sp. gajah mada

buce sp. entikong

buce. sp brownie 'metallica'

buce sp. cascade king (plants at the top, pic taken during a water change)

buce sp. yuusha

aridarum 'purple underleaf' (technically a cousin to bucephalandras)

Please ASK QUESTIONS if you want more info! Would love to see more people enjoy these plants! (y)

I really am intrested in Buce but never had the opportunity to try it ( wasn't sure how it would do in my tank with my conditions) and I dint want to blow 15 bucks or anything. Since you know a lot about it do you think it would do good for Buce in a 29 Eco substrate even though that won't do much. Led lighting that came with the tank and flora pride ever week. Obviously terrible conditions. But buce is low demand. Just wanted your opinion

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I really am intrested in Buce but never had the opportunity to try it ( wasn't sure how it would do in my tank with my conditions) and I dint want to blow 15 bucks or anything. Since you know a lot about it do you think it would do good for Buce in a 29 Eco substrate even though that won't do much. Led lighting that came with the tank and flora pride ever week. Obviously terrible conditions. But buce is low demand. Just wanted your opinion

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Buces can be low demanding but they still require a bit more care than average plants, particularly since your loss is greater financially if they don't do well. With that said I might hold off on them until your tank has a bit more going for it in terms of ferts, light, carbon supplementation, etc. The substrate does not matter much as buces are typically tied/glued to decor/driftwood/rocks which they anchor themselves to.

Buces can be low demanding but they still require a bit more care than average plants, particularly since your loss is greater financially if they don't do well. With that said I might hold off on them until your tank has a bit more going for it in terms of ferts, light, carbon supplementation, etc. The substrate does not matter much as buces are typically tied/glued to decor/driftwood/rocks which they anchor themselves to.
Thanks for sharing that info!
I'm looking for plants, ideas, as I'm planning to aquascape my new tank, really love these colours ![emoji225]

Clem

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats the best way to plant them? I thought i read they had to be attached to a rock?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm not a 100% sure on this topic. But I do know buce has rhyZomes like anubias. So I'm guessing it can be glued or tied down to stuff most oftently when it's planted. I guess you can put its roots in but not the rhyZomes in the substrate. I've actually even seen a buce wall ( looked AMAZING)

Last edited by a moderator:
Azmodan, where did you get those buces from? And what cheaper kinds are really colorful?

Whats the best way to plant them? I thought i read they had to be attached to a rock?

Yeah, just treat them like an anubias. I use lava rock mainly for mine as it is very porous with lots of little nooks and crags to anchor on to, but I've also grown them fine on driftwood, SS mesh, eggcrate, etc. You can also place them on the substrate as long as the rhizome is exposed.

Azmodan, where did you get those buces from? And what cheaper kinds are really colorful?

I have a friend who imports and distributes large orders regularly so I get most from him, although in the past I've had a great deal of success buying from hobbyists/sellers on the classified section at plantedtank.net. Some of the slightly more common/less expensive types that are colorful would be most of the bucephalandra brownie types or bucephalandra theia types. Check out Ebi's stuff on plantedtank: The Planted Tank Forum

Some really beautiful colors there! Note that colors will show best in higher light and proper co2/ferts. In low tech settings they tend to not be as colorful.

RImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1440811831.485220.jpg dang if I'm right that's a heck of a sale for buce!

Sent via the power of my aching thumbs

Thanks for posting about Hans sale. I just bought some.

Nice! I saw that sale too and sent him a PM like an hour after his post went up haha.

I'm actually in the process of tearing down my main buce farm tank so I'll be unloading a ton too.

Anyone else got pics or advice about Buce? Pretty cool plant and I'm surprised nobody has said nothing for a bit. I like the dark Metallica Buce and ulu kappaus. Also the ghost types

Cn

No but there is a new one. I went on an impulse buy and got 3 buces for $3 . Han hooked me up with dark Metallica ulu kappaus and dark ulu kappaus(Excuse the spelling)... Pretty excited and they should be here on Tuesday-Wendsday

Cn

No but there is a new one. I went on an impulse buy and got 3 buces for $3 . Han hooked me up with dark Metallica ulu kappaus and dark ulu kappaus(Excuse the spelling)... Pretty excited and they should be here on Tuesday-Wendsday

Cn

Sweet! Is this on his website or through a forum?

I contacted through his FB post .ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1445810115.499571.jpg a decent selection of those $3 buces I think 6 varieties

Cn

Back
Top Bottom